Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling advice

this is the first computer I've ever built (newbie alert :D) and I was wondering what CPU temp I should shoot for?

right now it's 47C under load, 42C idle, which I know has got to be too high
    that's why the case is still open and it's sitting in the middle of my floor, until I get some fans :D

any suggestions for what type etc.. of fans I should get :?:

T-bird 1.3G
    Soyo Dragon +
    Corsair 256M DDR
    GeForce 2 64M
    1-WD 40G
    1-Quantum 13G

Actually, you're load temperatures are not out of line at all. Though the idle seems a tad on the high side, overall you're doing fine.

If you plan on adding some fans, then look to see if your case has places built in to hold them. A lot of cases do, and more than likely it will hold an 80mm fan if you find such a place for them.

If not, then you'll be looking into some case modding. If you decide to go that route, then just let your imagination be your guide.

Good luck. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

oooo case mod'in - let's try another new thing :D

the case already has places to mount fans, guess I'll break out the old ruler and see what the'll fit

I was checkin out other posts and saw a bunch of people with 34C cpu temps, so it kinda scared me that my idle is higher than their load temps.

I need a beer now

If you really want lower temparatures buy a new heatsink such as the swiftech or alpha!
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

It might be that those 34C temps were for Intel chips which run a lot cooler than the Tbirds....

My best temps with a Swiftech MC462A have been in the mid-high 30s for a stock 1333Tbird in a Lian-Li case and around 39C for a stock TB1200 with a Swiftech MCXC370 with case cooling. Both these temps were in a room at about 27C.

Like I said, those temps may be in relation to Intella chips.... or could be bad temp measurement or a bloody cold room to start with.

As Darthtanion said, with moderate-good cooling your temps are in the normal Tbird ballpark and not a lot to worry about. The case cooling could help a little to make sure you're not getting heat build up in the case.

Have fun.

Damn i v jealous.
    Its hot in west Australia and my xp1600+
    is sitting on 61 deg C and go`s up to 68C
    mind you it is 30C at 8pm.
    I`ve got a Volcano 6Cu HSF.
    Need for cool

Rampart:(

My friend has an Athlon XP 1600+ and the very same ThermalTake Volcano 6Cu, and never gets above 46 degrees under full load in 30 degree ambient temperature. What motherboard are you using? If you're relying on ASUS' probe software, chances are that it is HIGHLY inaccurate - a motherboard model would be helpful :?:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Thank you Albinus for that quick reply
    yes i`m using Asusprobe on a Asus A7V Mobo, the Bios indicates 5-8 degrees cooler, i`ve also got 2 fans in and 3 out

Rampart:|

I am running at 25 degrees idle hehe!
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

Yeah but you just told me that's it's 5c there atm. :eek:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information