Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling for dummies?

here is a link to the review of different water blocks.
    http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzU3
    good luck.

kane2g: Great link! Thanks. Its answered lots of questions.

Im the type of guy that hate myself when I have to bother someone with questions. I always try to read myself to answers before asking.

So in this case, I just write down what I learned, and ask if everything sounds alright.

To cool my set with water cooling, I need the following:

External box
    This seems to be the most handy way of setting up the "core" of the system (pump+radiator), simply a "box" in any material that I can put near the tower, or "hide" on the floor. I have lots of space left in my Dragon Tower thou.

Radiator
    This is the most foggy bit at the moment. Most reviews I read have been about home-made constructions, using a radiator from old fridgerators, cars, even aircondition sets. I dont know if I can buy a computer-prepared radiator.
    Reccomended: Black Ice Xtreme LE Chrome

Pump
    The pump needs to be strong so it can pump the liquid around the hoses, specially if the "box" is placed on the floor. Pumps can easily be bought where they sell aquariums.

2xCooling blocks
    One for the GPU, one for the CPU, preferably copper if you cant afford silver or gets your hand of a nicely crafted plastic one.
    The FSB might be cooled, but it is not really worth the effort.
    Im a bit worried about the GFX board's DDR memory thou. Might need something extra there.

Hoses
    A long hose, preferably transparent will be cut up in pieces and attached to pump the water in this order:
    Pump -> Radiator -> GPU -> Pump
    Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> Pump

Destilled Water
    Destilled becouse non-destilled water is more likely to cause damage to the computer if there is a leaking accident.

Anti-Bacterial / Anti-Freeze spice
    The destilled water should be spiced with an anti-bacterial mixture to keep the water clean and optimal.
    There should also be some anti-freeze liquid in the water to keep the water from getting to hot. Not to much thou. (Maximum 5%).

Arctic Silver Compound 3
    From what I know, the best compound on the market.

I also need to find a way to get the cooler to start/stop when the computer is turned on/off. To run the computer with the system turned off is NOT a good idea.

Best Regards
    JemyM

The Black Ice Xtreme is and excellent radiator and an Eheim 1048 pump is well suited for it and two waterblocks. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

That is noted. I found reccomendations of Black Ice Xtreme and Eheim 1250 on the page kane2g posted. Great to have that info backed up by someone else. That means that I have two of my components chosen. :D
    Also trying to find out what kind of dB can be expected from Black Ice Xtreme, since the main purpose for watercooling is to reduce the noise coming from my Swiftech =o)

Trying to learn more about Lexan Hold Down Plates & Peltiers at the moment. Also trying to find out more about "Thermo-Electric Cooler".

Best Regards
    JemyM

Normally a 120mm fan is used along the specs of the two fans in the red rectangle. ;)

Note that a 60mm Black Delta fan produces 42db @ 38cfm

Ok, where in the structure shall I place the fans?

I intend to keep the pump/radiator in a separate box, if possible, so I can a) add some noise reducing mats around them b) keep the towers from looking like compressed archives.

Best Regards
    JemyM

i suggest getting watter wetter. Works great!
    also, depending on size of your case you might want to cool your northbridge.

are you gonna have 2 outputs from your pump? because this is unclear to me
    Pump -> Radiator -> GPU -> Pump
    Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> Pump

if so great, but there is going to be too many hoses, IMHO. I would just go
    Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> vid card -> Pump for best cooling or
    Pump -> Radiator -> vid card -> CPU -> Pump for overclocking your vid card.

good luck

So Watter Wetter is a "Water Booster" in general :) I still want glykol and anti-bacterial mixed in the water right?

I changed my plan to Pump -> Radiator -> vid card -> CPU then, since Im most likely to overclock the video card.

The question about northbridge... Im using a Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower.
    http://www.chieftec.com/products/dragon/dx01wd.htm
    Thoose babies are huge compared to traditional miditowers. (about 50% taller)
    Its very well built, and therefore there are lots of free space inside.

Its identical (even the interior structure/shape&color on the plastic) to Antec Performance Plus 660AMG Case:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=379

The only difference is that there is no front panel (USB/Firewire), and its a miditower (much larger). Either Antec/Chieftec have copied eachothers computers, or they use the same components.

Do you reccomend me to cool the northbridge?

Best Regards
    JemyM

Ok, here we go...

This is my list of components I have found in sweden, still wondering about a few of them (marked with ?)

The 3 cooling blocks. I can easily get Swiftech, Innova and Danger Den components in sweden. Unfortunate, I dont know wich ones I need. Im also wondering about cooling the GFX Memory (important part in GFX Board Cooling).

And a link previously posted here reccomends that I should get a TEC Power Supply... Any labels or tips upon how I get this one?

The link also talked about "Cold Plates". Can someone define the use of theese, how to fit them in the whole thing, and what I need for an AMD 2100+

The last part, is if someone have tips where to get Destilled Water, Glycol or similiar?

I also wonder, if I have both water wetter + glycol, do I really need anti-bacterial fluid?

Box - I will just grab one that fits the job
    Noise Reducing Mats - Dynamat Xtreme Computer Kit_
    Radiator - Black Ice Xtreme Radiator_
    Pump - Eheim 1048_
    Water Tank - Watertank för Eheim_
    Cooling Block: CPU - ?
    Cooling Block: GPU - ?
    Cooling Block: Northbridge - ?
    TEC - 156W peltier_
    TEC Power Supply - ?
    Coldplates - ?
    Hoses - Silicon Hose
    Destilled Water - ?
    Anti-Bacterial Mixture - ?
    Anti-Freeze Mixture - ?
    Watter Wetter - WaterWetter 30ml_
    Compound - Arctic Silver 3_

Best Regards
    JemyM

Should be able to find regular distilled water in your local supermarket right? Or do you need something special? :?:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information