Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy/accurate way to read vid card temp?

OK so I overclocked my xstasy ti4200 a bit and played ut2k3 and it ran fine. Out of curiousity (stupidity?) I felt the back of the card to see if it was hot. It wasn't hot except under the core, it was very hot to the touch. Obviously this is not an accurate/smart way to tell the temp, is there a good way to tell how hot my gpu is running?? How necessary are heatsinks for the ddr on the card? If I want to overclock it to the max, should i get the thermaltake geforce4 cooler or does it depend on my case temp??

Please help, I am lost.
    -Harbinger
    Wannabe l33t overclocker

Alot of things to depend on case temp cuase the lower the case temp the lower the components inside the case are. You see it works hand in hand. The heatsink on the memory is very necessary if you wanna overclock that. The memory gets hot too! Also usually aftermarket cooling solutions for video cards are much better then the stock ones. Unless of course you have a company such as leadtek who areleady has massive heatsinks but still. I once upon a time touched the back of the GPU after 3 hours of quake 3 and ya it does get pretty hot. All though not as hot as the heatsink on a voodoo 3. Those things get so hot you can actually burn yourself. Now THOSE require fans! Anyway I saw a mod once upon a time (I think it was tweaktown) where they took a geforce 3 and modded it so that it had a heatsink on the front and back.........on the geforce 4 ti4600's by leadtek there is a heatsink on the back to handle that issue.

Does Visiontek come with utilities to check temps? I know leadtek does. But I'm not sure if they will work together.

One of the is good for checking temps and inexpensive too.

<center>
    <small>the pic is also a hyperlink</small>
    :cheers:</center>

I have a movable probe with my MoBo, i sit it on the back of my video card and it normally hits higher temps than my cpu
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

wow for 10 bucks I might decide to get one myself! But where would it go. ANother hole required eh? oh well its all worth it with case modding madness.

I'm sure that ya have a 5.25" face plate that ya can use plus 2 of them will fit in one. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

ya too bad my 5 1/4 face plates aren't flat like most cases. THe entire front part of my case is rounded so I can't drill through it at all. Which is why the switch for my ccfl is just dangling in mid air inside my case. No part to bring it through. :(

Well that's where the word "Mod" really comes into play. ;)

Got a pic of ya case there? :?:

Yes I see ya current prob but have ya looked at a few other face plates to see if ya could fit them in instead? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information