Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Volano 7 + conversion

So then, would you say that my temps are exceptable ? I need to reapply my AS3 as I've removed the fan on my V7+ and cleaned the dust off of the heatsink "skives". However, the heatsink has moved around a bit in all of the cleaning, so I'm getting temps of ~50C CPU now...:thumbs do
    SPAM Special Ops

Reapply the AS3 but only as thick as thin paper is all that is required (if as thick as a business card then you'll have a lot around the sides of the core where it was squashed out) plus with the 7+ make sure that the clip is the right way around with the pressure point of the clip directly over the core (the last is a simple known mistake that is often made when assembling). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I know the "clip thing".: peace2:
    How do I know if the AS3 is too thick ?
    Should it be transparent ? ie: should I see the writing on the core ?
    SPAM Special Ops

You shouldn't be able to see thru it but the use of a plastic credit or ATM card will help get a nice even application. Ideally under load you shouldn't see more than 20C difference between room temp and that of the CPU itself and no more than 6C between room temp and that of the system. ;)

Thanks !
    SPAM Special Ops

We are missing an obvious point here: What is the Core Voltage of your CPU? I have just put together a computer for a friend and it reads temps of 30 C (XP 1700+) and I was a bit worried that it was the wrong sensor, or that it was too far away from the CPU, but I put my finger in on the base of the Heatsink & edge of the CPU and it wasn't even warm! Mine runs in the high 40's!
    But I then had a look at the voltages and his runs at 1.5V (according to MMB5) while mine is at 1.9V (overclocked from 1400MHz to 1565), a little excessive.

Would this be because it is a different core? ie Pal Vs TBA Vs TBb?
    They don't make a Thouroughbread B at 1700 do they?
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

Ok it looks like ya explodin' everywhere over this question. Technically as the newer cores have come along the heat dissipation rate has gone down but because speeds have also gone up temps sorta even out. An XP1700+ should be a Palamino core as XP1800+ I believe is as far down as the Thoroughbred A goes. I also havn't heard of any Thoroughbred B's below XP2000+ either. A lot of Athlons have also been know to run well at voltages below the norm though some will behave the other way. Your 1.9volts is 0.5v above that usually recommended for air coolin'. Your friend's case may have better airflow as well which also helps greatly in keepin' temps at a reasonable level. Take the side off the case while it is runnin' under full load and if the temp drops by more than a few degrees then there is a problem. At the moment the room temp here is 26C and my XP2200+ @ 1900MHz (Thoroughbred A) has a system temp of 30C and core of 45C under full load while my XP1800+ @ XP1900+ (Palamino) has a system temp of 28C and core of 39C under full load. But there are many variables here and even the brand of motherboard can dictate whether the sensor is accurate or not.

Good Answer.

I have 5 case fans (all pointing in the right direction), my case is otherwise sealed, my cables are rounded and out of the way, and I have as good an air-cooling setup I can get with my average Globalwin + 120mm fan. This other computer has no case fans, but while my MB is an Asus, his is some no-name... I am guessing that it may not be accurate, but it still seems to be cool for an AMD. BTW I get MB temps of 26 and CPU temps of 46 under stress... basically I need a new heatsink, I think. Even before OCing I could only get idle of 35.

Anyone got a spare SLK-800??
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

I FINALLY re-applied my Arctic Silver 3.:o
    I had moved the heatsink while cleaning the dust out.:shh:
    My idle temp was around 51C.:thumbs do
    Now that I just re-applied the thermal paste (about an hour ago !), my idle temp has dropped to around 38C !:thumb:
    SPAM Special Ops

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information