Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Xp 2200 running hot

Hi, I know you guys get this question SO many times, but I can't help being concerned.

I have an XP 2200 running at an average of 45C or 47-49C under heavy load. I have a ThermalTake Volcano 7+ (on medium setting) sitting on top of the cpu with a KX7-333 mobo.

I've never applied thermal compound before so I'm worried that maybe that may be the problem. I used Artic Silver 3, I had a pretty nice layer on the core, but I had to reposition the heatsink a bunch of times to get the clip to fit. In the process some of the AS ended up on the heatsink which I then rubbed evenly into the bottom of the heatsink. So I'm thinking maybe I didn't leave enough AS on the core.

Also, I have an Antec 350W power supply and the bottom fan is breathing right on the Volcano 7+ from the looks of things. Is it possible that the power supply is increasing the cpu temp?

I do have one intake and one exhaust fan in the case.

Thanks for any advice you can give me or put my fears to rest :)

So long as you can keep it at or below 50C then ya should be fine but do make sure that the 7+'s clip is on the right way and that the clip's pressure point is directly above the CPU core though those temps are quite normal for 2200+'s (mine sits around those temps as well). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Actually, I just ran 3dmark 2001 and noticed I have an xp2100+. Are those still normal temps? The clip is definitely on the right way.

Thanks for your speedy reply :)

Yes as there is no difference really in either's heat output. :)

Use a copper heatsink with phase-change tape on the heatsink.
    Arctic silver 3 use VERY sparingly on the die itself and re-apply every year with new phase-change thermal tape on the heatsink.
    My 2200 runs @ 36 C with this arrangement with the MoBo temp @ 32-33 C. Using a "Super Flower" case w/ 6 fans and 420 Watt ATX power supply. to find your farenheit temp multiply the Centigrade by 9 then divide the result by 5 and add 32. 44 C is only 111 degrees F. Hardly hot to the touch; when most people can leave their hands in 115 F water without pain.

Thread Information