Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: whoah.... is this too hot??

Hi,

im running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ cpu on a MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU motherboard.

I dont know what heatsink/fan I am using... its just the one from the shop that built my computer.... so I *assume* it is craptastic.....

anyway.... right now my computer has an idle temp of 44 deg Celsius on the CPU and 39 deg Celsius system/chipset temp.

these temperatures are effected somewhat by the heating in my house too.... if I open the window next to the PC and put on like 3 jumpers (lol...)... the temp on the CPU goes down to low 40s or high 30s.

After playing some games for a while, the most it gets to is around 51 deg Celsius on the CPU. I havent seen it over 51 or 52.... and thats after a while of playing games (like hours...).

Are the temperatures too hot??

should I invest in a new heatsink/fan?? or should I get more case fans?? -- i dont know what is better....

I have heard good things about the Volcano 7+ from some friends, and its a reasonable price.... is it worth getting?? or as I said before, get one or two more case fans??

Well ya temps arn't to bad (especially considerin' the unusual heat we're gettin' atm) but you'll probably find that ya just have an AMD retail HSF and the Volcano7+ will certainly out perform them by some margin. To test your case take the side off and see if the temps drop, if they do by a few degrees then ya could do with some extra airflow. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I think you hit the nail on the head with that post....

I took the side of my case off and now my PC is idling at 35 or 36 deg Celsius on the CPU and 32 or 33 deg Celsius System/Chipset temp.... its almost a whopping 10 degrees lower!!!

so what should I do to improve my case temperature??
    I dont think I need the volcano 7+ if it is idling at 35 deg.... but I just need more airflow in the case....

some of my friends say I need to get me a dremel and start cutting holes in my case and put in like 3 or 4 extra fans.... but I dont want to get that drastic... any ideas *without* cutting and hacking into the case???

Probably considerin' that ya friends have seen ya case and we havn't I can't really say how much ya'll need. If ya can post a link to the case or a pic then we maybe better able to advise. Usually a side panel intake fan over the video/PCI cards and a blowhole in the top panel will improve airflow. Most cases have a low down front intake fan and hopefully a rear exhaust one as well as the PSU's, does your's have these or are there positions available to add more? :?:

I cant find a pic of my case... but ill try to explain it...

its basically a normal tower size (mid tower?) but its got all this plastic junk around it (that I dont know how to take off) so its curved on the sides and the front.... im pretty sure its a piece of junk and I plan on getting a new case soon.... but anyways....

there is a rear exhaust higher up near the PSU
    there is a front intake lower down below the HDD
    thats all I can see for fan openings...

the rear exhaust has a fan on it, the front doesnt.

im going to buy two fans (one for front and upgrade the back)...
    so should I have the front fan blowing IN to the case and the back fan should be blowing OUT right?

Can you supply us with the name of the case (if you know) ?
    Also, your system specs might also help with this matter.
    I have a Volcano 7+ (as many of us do) :thumb: and I only have great things to say about it.
    Are you using any thermal compound ? ie: Arctic Silver 3 (it's great stuff)
    If the case / case fans are your problem, then upgrading to a higher quality case would be a good investment (you can keep it during future upgrades)

BUT ! Bottom line is... The more money you put into a system, the better (most of the time).
    However not everyone has an unlimited supply of cash (I know that I don't) :cry:, so finding your "balance point" is the key ingredient to having a system that you are happy with, while still being functional & stable.
    SPAM Special Ops

I dont know what the name or brand of the case is...like i said i think its junk stuff...

I think i probably have the standard HSF on my Athlon, I have not modified it since I bought it (the system) from the store.... I assume it has the thermal paste/tape that comes in the retail box....

the only reason i thought it would be a good idea to do case fans is because:

1: cheaper.
    2: easier.

i think I could do a HSF swap myself, but im not that confident after I have read storeies of crushed athlon cores when people make mistakes...

I also *dont* have unlimited cash :thumb:

anyway.... heres my system:

300w psu
    athlon 1800xp
    msi kt3-ultra-ARU (kt333 chipset w/ raid)
    256mb pc2700 ddr ram
    Maxtor D740X ata133 7200rpm 40gb
    SB Audigy Platinum
    MSI GF4 Ti4600 128mb
    sony 16x DVD
    yamaha 20x10x40 cdrw
    a bunch of other stuff....flopppy, network/scsi cards...blah...blah

Yeah, I was worried about crushing my CPU when I built my new system in Sept., but it went ok-no probs- just be careful and it'll be ok.
    As for the AS3, use a thin coat ! Case fans can be cheaper (depending on which fans / how many fans will be used), and if that's your prob (sounds like it), then go for it.
    See my specs in my sig. I used some "old" parts from last system (video/audio/hdd1/dvd/monitor), so the upgrade $$ wasn't so bad ($1500 cdn.)
    Right now I have 5 case fans, soon to be 6 w/window, and soon I'll be getting a 6 port dual voltage baybus to control the noise.
    Long story short, remember that the more fans you have, the more noise you'll have too !
    SPAM Special Ops

cool....i guess its time for some new case fans...

no need to worry about the noise, I cant be anylouder than my CPU fan right now which whines SOOO bad I wear headphones and crank my MP3s up whenever I can....i guess that fan will be replaced since im doing the rest too :afro:

I was so glad when the Volcano 7+ came out just to get away from those types of fans (though it's a little like that on high speed but who uses that except in extremes). :D

But ya will have to improve the case airflow first before ya'll find out the benefits of a better cooler anyway (I've seen 7+'s actually get warmer on high speed w/ bad case airflow). ;)

As for how to add the fans to ya case then take a couple of pics and u/l them here and we'll have a look at the probs and see how they can be over come (havn't found one yet that couldn't be overcome somehow). :devil win

Thread Information