Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: exactly WHAT is the best heatsink?

i've been looking around for a good hsf, but seeing that the ones that cool well are either too loud or too expensive, and if there are any hsf's supposedly better than the Volcano 7+,

what im looking for is:
    good value and cheap maybe around $20
    does not sound like a blowdryer
    good for overclocking
    :wave:
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>512 mb Corsair XMS PC3200<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Verbatim 48x12x50 CD-RW<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>Logitech Cordless Elite Duo<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Win XP Pro SP1<font color=blue>|</font>

with out spending exorbarnt amouts of money you are not going to beat the volcano 7+
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Hey I'd also look into the new Swiftech HS... I can't remember where I saw it (I think on a TT review) but it looked like a real cooling demon. It had twisted poles instead of fins.
    BTW, if you are going to OC, you better make sure your priorities are in line... Cheap HSF versus new CPU... hmmm I know what I would do.
    Spend the extra couple bucks and get a better HS.

Heck here it is right here.....
    http://tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=410

Trust me...don't cheap out on a HS if you can avoid it.:flames:

The minimum ya need is a Volcano 7+ but if ya can afford more for the higher end screamers then go for it. On a price/performance basis ya can't beat the 7+ and rarely will ya need full speed with the fan. The best comparison goin' atm, http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm (ya'll find that all the better performing heatsinks all used super high speed fans to out do the 7+) :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

ya i suppose i'll get a 7+, but i've been hearing its more of a hassle to get it to stick onto a slot A, so i was worried

im going to taiwan in the winter, probably cheaper there?
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>

What in the hell does "slot A" have to do with this question? :confused:

hrm... it supposedly can work with both p4's and amd's am i right?

Yes that's right but it still didn't answer the "slot A" question though (I want to hear this one). :p

Thread Information