Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good fan for SKL-800?

What's a good fan to use with the Thermalright SLK-800? I need to know soon if anyone has suggestions!!

USE EITHER A Vantec Tornado 80mm or a 92mm.
    http://vantecusa.com/tornado.html :devil:
    .oOo.:VOlcOm:.oOo.

or if you don't like the sound of a vacuum cleaner all the time look at a Thermaltake 80mm Smartfan

it maxes out at around 75cfm - ~10cfm leass than the fastest 80mm Delta's and Vantec's, but it includes a couple of ways to decrease the rpm's (and noise) when you so desire

...I've used the 80 & 92mm EHO Delta's - they are LOUD

:laugh: Thermaltake's SMART FANII is far too noisey for me @ just 4000 rpm. :(

sorry but I'm not into torturin' my ears.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    :laugh: Thermaltake's SMART FANII is far too noisey for me @ just 4000 rpm. :(

sorry but I'm not into torturin' my ears.
    - but at least you can turn them down

with the extreme high output delta's you're stuck with 54db all the time...unless you install a pot. capable of handling a full amp., they're starting to get a bit more common now

Just chuck a 120mm Papst fan on there via a bit of plastic handywork. Works for me and isn't going to drive anyone nuts with high rpm noise... still loud, but still no where near the 80mm/92mm CFM equivalents. I am getting better temps than I was with the Delta 80mm. Doesn't even look too ghetto.
    :thumb:

Got my 1600+ running at 1750MHz, 48-49C Load.

Gee, where's another thread I can post this info...
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

Rack, what kind of plastic work do you have to do, the slk800 only takes fans up to 80mm, so wondering how can you adjust that to 120mm(not a 90mm? big butt on the block) with the two fan clips,
    :?: , i got a volcano 9, thinking of buying a slk, taking the smart fan off of it and slap it on the new copper sink

Attach the 120mm to ya side panel with a modified funnel to direct air at the heatsink. :devil win

:mad: hey! you stole my name....take this
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

I think Wiggo's idea is better, but you still need to have something which fits snug onto the SLK. I used sheet plastic I get through work - I think you might be able to get it from the right type of hardware store. It is easy to cut with a stanly knife. I just made a fairly basic adapter with it: cut out peices for a squarish funnel and glued the edges together. Cut edges with an angle to allow a nice finish. Structurally quite sound, surprisingly, especially after the fan is bolted through it. Unfortunately the slk gets in the way of the extra holes in the MB around the HS. I keep meaning to make up a bracket, or perhaps start again (I originally made this one for a smaller HS, so it aint perfect).

I actually had it stable for ages, but kept crashing in WC3(??) :thumbs do :thumbs do even though I had stress tested it every other way, now down to 1690 something, still not bad. Of course OC'ing my graphics card gave a much better return on 3D performance. Guess it depends what your after.

Also would recommend a Papst fan for this, don't just buy any high CFM 120mm fan.
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information