Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying Arctic Silver 3

I'd like to find out how others are installing the Arctic Silver 3 on the HSF. On the last computer I built I used an old cloth for my glasses. I threw it away afterwards cause I didn't know if I should use it on my glasses any more or not. Will the stuff wash out of a cloth? Can I just use an old t-shirt? Also, it says to put a thin layer on the CPU. How thin? Anyone have any pictures that would help? I don't know if putting to much hurts but I assume that putting to little would. Thanks.

I use a isopropyl alcohol wipe first before usin' a glass cloth to remove any left over lint (the glass cloth will last much much longer that way) and apply AS3 only as thick as a thin sheet of paper. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

AMD Athlon 2400+ @ 2.26Ghz @1.9Core Cooled With Thermalright AX-7 | EPoX 8K5A2+ | 768Mb PC-2700DDR Corsair XMS | Leadtek GForce4 Ti4400 | Hercules Fortissimo II | 80Gb Seagate HDD | Liteon 12x DVD | Aopen 40x12x48 | Samsung SyncMaster 957p 1600X1200@75Hz | Modded Aopen HX-08 with 300W Aopen PSU | Windows XP Pro SP1

ICQ :159735580 | MSN : nutty_33@hotmail.com | Email : nutty_33@iinet.com.au

What about this instruction from the AS3 site?

Re-clean the heatsink surface with a LINT FREE cloth. Do not use any solvent or fluid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I use a isopropyl alcohol wipe first before usin' a glass cloth to remove any left over lint (the glass cloth will last much much longer that way) and apply AS3 only as thick as a thin sheet of paper. ;)

Also, is it important that I buy some kind of monitor to keep an eye on the temp? My current case has a built in thermometer but my new case doesn't. Any suggestions?

Well it works for me but why they have that maybe that some ppl's idea of solvents is rather extreme to say the least. Those wipes which ya get from electronics stores are specially made for just this sort of use. : peace2:

Here are the directions for the Volcano 7+ for using with a P4.

http://www.thermaltake.com/support/i...s/v7plusP4.htm

I'm a bit confused as this is a little different than it was on the AMD. Should I go by the directions on the Arctic Silver site or the Tt site? Cause on the Tt site it doesn't say to apply and grease to the HS but only to the processor. Also, because of the setup of the P4 processor, I'm not sure how to put thermometer probe onto it. There is no extra space on the processor to tape it like there is on the AMD.

Thanks.

i use a program called hmonitor or something like that, it monitors your voltages, RPMs of fans and whole bunch of other stuff.
    I just use it to monitor my system temps while crunchin seti.

Oh and most mobos have temp monitors built in.
    here's a pic

I would look for it on download.com or tucows.com I really dont know where i got it from

hmonitor is way off on sometimes... I mean, see the attached image... My Vid card thermometer (at least, the reported temp through my drive bay monitor) reads 52 C yet, hmonitor reports anywhere from 69 to 72 C

(reason voltages are showing red is coz i'm oc'ng big time (3401mhz from 2533mhz :D))
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

How are you monitoring the temp or your CPU? Where are you mounting the probe?

Are there any other software monitors that would be more accurate?

I have the 2.53 P4 with Volcano 7+, Asus P4PE, and Corsair 512MB DDR 400. Should I be able to overclock mine to 3+ GHz?

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide
    hmonitor is way off on sometimes... I mean, see the attached image... My Vid card thermometer (at least, the reported temp through my drive bay monitor) reads 52 C yet, hmonitor reports anywhere from 69 to 72 C

(reason voltages are showing red is coz i'm oc'ng big time (3401mhz from 2533mhz :D))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information