Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: volcano 7+ up in smoke!!!!!

I was messing w. my buddies 1.3ghz duron system and i decided to install hmonitor to see how the temps were. I was shocked to find it at 115-120 range at idle. I than found out that no grease was used. He had the volcano6. we got some radioshack grease on that sucker and it went down to about 105. Since today was a comp expo near by, we got him a Volcano 7+ (for $20!!!!). But in the whole expo noone knew or heard of Arctic Silver 3! We used the supplied grease and installed the 7+. We also used an open slot in the back of the case to mount the speed monitor.
    After we powered it up that sucker started to smoke!!!!! There was a short inside speed monitor!! I couldnt return the 7+ as the show had closed at 3pm.
    Why did it short?? did the fact that we touched it to the case messed it up?? or was there a short to begin with, that i just didnt notice?

BTW the system is running w/o the fan control (full speed i assume, becaue its louder than mine.) and we are getting 90-96 temps. I am planning to get a hold of AC3 and use that ASAP.

A rare faulty part I'd say as I file the alloy "U" shaped piece at the top all the time to give me more screw length (they should be 2mm longer) for fitment to cases, expansion port and bay covers so just RMA it but those switches can also be bought separately. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thats a good idea, i didnt even think of that!
    I was going to buy a 7+ in a retail store, replace it w/ mine and return it.
    But wiggo's idea will work better, and i will feel better.
    Wiggo, you da man!!!!! Again!! :thumb: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's only because I work solely with this particular HSF in all the systems that I've built (even for others) since it's release which has given me plenty of practice at installing those switches for easy access. :D

That also gives me a large supply of useless retail HSF's from when I can't get OEM CPU's (but I have an experiment comin' up involvin' several of them, a few peltiers and a couple of old leaky air coolers plus a couple of large 4" deep tubs). :devil win

OK, if you had so much experience, how do i get RMA on this sucker??? no way to do it from the tt website!

Okies on their website you'll see a "Where to Buy" button, just locate your distributor and contact them as to their proceedures regardin' RMA's but I'm lucky here as the only time I had to do that (POS Dragon fan that had to be done twice b4 the 7+ replaced it) the distro for here is only a 20min drive away. ;)

I finally installed the Volcano 7+ in my AMD system. When I first booted it I saw smoke come from the system and it powered itself off. Then it wouldn't come back on. I had hooked in the hard drive and CD drive into the same power cord from the PSU as the switch so I think maybe that is what shorted it. I replaced the switch with another. I had bought two Volcano 7+, one for each computer I have, but I haven't put it on the other computer yet so I had one unused switch. Anyway, that fixed the problem. I was really scared seeing smoke come from the computer. I don't know though if it was my fault or just a faulty switch, now seeing that you had the same problem. Now I'm gonna have to buy another switch.

Its rather loud on median speed. Is it ok to run at low when just browsing the net and checking email?

a switch, ya dont need a stinkin switch!
    J/K
    I run mine at med all the time. I dont think its that loud. But the one that went up in smoke.. I hooked it up straight to mobo, so its running at FULL speed. That is a loud sucker.
    I tried my local vendor, but they said "you didnt buy it here.... NO switch!", which kinda sucks, but i will try TT now and see what they say about it.

Sorry to hear that yours went up in flames too.
    You should email them too, maybe they got a bad batch of resistors or something. :confused:

WOW!!!!
    TT is da koolest!!!!
    I tried the local shop that was listed on TT website, but they told me "you didnt buy it here, not my problem"
    so i emailed the TT and i got a response saying to give them my address and other info and they will send out a replacement!
    No questions asked! just want their old one back when i get mine. Thats what i call SERVICE & SUPPORT :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wiggo, no i know why you recomend these guys, not only kick ass product, but they stand behind it too!!!
    :cheers:
    Cheers m8

I've always found them helpful here, strange though to hear of a second one goin'. :?:

Thread Information