Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Way too hot!

Ive got an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Palamino not overclocked and it runs at 50C just while surfing the net. I have removed the HSF and did not replace the thermal compound. Im also using the stock AMD HSF. My case temps are between 28-36C. My fan locations etc. are in my sig. Can anyone tell me a way to help this cooling. Take this link to a pic of my pc. My Case Its the second post by me amd_man2003

Other than fittin' a higher output fan to that heatsink (it really sux which is why I use Volcano 7+'s) then replacin' it with something better is ya only alternative. :shrug:

Looking at the pictures shows that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an effective front intake. It looks as though there isn't much of an airway on the front bezel. Hopefully its just the picture and I couldn't see it, but if nit then you've found a lot of your problem.

Even though you have a fan mounted in the front for intake, it has to have a straight line shot to the exterior of the case to pull in cool, fresh air. Otherwise it is on;y sucking up electricity and nothing else.

Also, you mentioned that you did not put any thermal interface material back onto the processor when you remounted the heatsink. Bad call since there is nothing to help in the transfer of heat away from the core. You NEED to have something, even if it sucks. It is simply that important.

Other than that, you might try to get a better heatsink to work with. The stock HSF units on the AMD processors aren't that good and are really only there to keep lawsuits to a minimum (they are made in the US after all). They are not very effective.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I took the HSF off and got all the crap out of it....... , I also moved some of the crap therm. compound so it would work, didnt make a differnce. I did know about the front fan deal, but I figured that the 1 1/2 in. gap between the bezel and chassis was enough, and today i found out isnt. I put my hand and felt about no intake from the two front fans. My 120mm exhaust moves quite a bit of air though.

hmm...I would recoment some $6.00 Arctic Silver 3 Thermal compound. www.casecooler.com is were I baught my Arctic Silver!
    [CB] KillersNatural
    Troy Oster

Check out Meh Gamin Computer!

Gigabyte Ga-7VRXP
    AMD Xp 2000+ Overclocked to 1875 MHZ
    512 MB DDR 2100 DDR
    Ge-Force 4 Mx440 64mb DDR OverClocked
    Onboard Sound ( Sound Blaster Chipset)
    80 GB IBM DeskStar 7200 RPM
    Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler
    Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Paste
    HP Cd Burner 40x12x40
    52x Cd-Rom Drive
    8 USB Ports
    ~~10 Case Fans~~
    Volcano 9 w/ CoolMod
    Powmax Aluminum Case w/ 400 Watt Power Supply also with window
    Blue Cold Cathode Light
    Logitech Optical Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard w/ 2 USB Ports
    2 FireWire Ports
    Hp Pavilion mx70 17 Inch Monitor
    Red Round Cables

hey guys.... my temp is running at under 45/c so i suppose thats ok right? im just using the HSF that came with my cpu, so i guess i dont need a cpu cooler? how do i know the fans are blowing or sucking air out?

It depends on the brand but most blow into the heatsink though so long as ya stay under 50C ya should be fine but I just fired this XP2600+ up and with 100% CPU usage is runnin' at 35C with Volcano 7+ on medium fan speed.

uh, turn them on and put your hand in front?

You need to read some of the basic cooling guides around. Links are, umm, somewhere on Tweaktown, or any other OC'ing/Computer HW site... (Little help?)

as above, get some AS3, read the instructions on the www.arcticsilver.com as to how to apply. Too much of the cheap stuff could be worse than none at all, depending on how your mounting facilities.

45C is OK for an XP, only cause you've got a stock HS on there.: peace2:
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

Thread Information