Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dispelling AMD vs. Intel "which runs cooler?" Myth

Ahhh, I see, nice and cozy, thats more like it. Hehehe. Down here in Melbourne the weather is unpredictable, one minute rain the next it's boiling hot. :flames:

Yes bein' 3000 feet above sea level does have it's advantages. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide
    Ya but ya gotta look at heat distribution as well :) If AMD put heat spreaders on their processors, they would (imo) run a lot cooler, since the heat would dissipate better over the heat spreader... Unfortunately, that'd stop the unlocking of their proc's :)
    Acually, ive learned that head spreaders can be taken off, then reapplyed, I did it on my old AMD K6 wihtout a problem

Head spreaders huh?? OooooOOOO!!:D

you guys talk about 20 degrees comfortable. I think.. 20 degrees and water freezes at 32.. brrr.. but then it's C and not F. I like 74 F for most of the winter.

Does it ever snow in Australia? How cold does it really get??

I've seen one morning in Western Nebraska about 14 years ago that I woke up and the temperature was -50 degrees F. The record low was only 9 miles away in Oshkosh at 49.77 degrees BELOW ZERO! Was kind of cold out that morning.. Ya didn't drive around much as the seat felt like a board. Foam don't give at that temp and oil don't pump well either.

I can only imagine pumping in air at that temp to the inside of the computer case!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

Yes it does snow along the Great Dividing Range (that's the name of the range runnin' north/south along the whole eastern seaboard and I live in the middle of it) and part of that to the south of me is called Snowy Mountains. Rarely will we see 0F though (-18C :eek:, water freezes at 0C, boils at 100C, at sealevel anyway) but 20C is around 70F. The kids are hoping to see some snow flakes here over the next few months (if they're lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    (if they're lucky).
    I wouldn't call it lucky.. :no:

Btw about temperature, we had below -30c for a few weeks this winter.. That is not fun, not even for a nordic toughened man like myself..

:laugh:

The coldest it got here last year (a very cold year they tell me) was -13C. :wow:

Out here in Michigan, where we moved to, the averate snow fall is around 140 inches. Not too cold because of the Lake Michigan affect on the snow.

I saw pictures of the great 1949 Blizzard that happened in Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado and some parts of Kansas.

There are pictures of 2 story houses and people using the second story windows to exit their houses. Snow came halfway up the side of the barn roof. One picture I saw were 3 guys staning on the level snow and the telephone poles (and wires) were there at their feet. Somewhere aroun 19 feet of snow in one storm. Quite a lot really.

Can you imagine trying to do internet back then?? Birds sitting on the wire caused problems with voice. Ice on them could degrade the connection. No fiber optics, no buried cable, no satellite.. just plain wires strung on poles.
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

move to Canada an you will learn what the words COLD and SNOW really mean. :devil:

LMAO.... Definitely come up here to Canada if you want cold weather!! I think that this past winter we had like a month of -30 to -40 degrees celsius days.... Hawaiin T-shirt weather as I like to say.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information