Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp monitoring, BS or not?

Hi Everybody!!

I've been reading back through the posts on cooling and wanted to ask this question.

I recently changed to a Gigabyte GA-7DXE mobo for my Athlon t-bird 1300. On this new board the cpu peaks at about 70C under strain and is currently showing 62C after being on the net a few hours. Case temp is 29C. I have a coolermaster exhaust blower in a slot between my AGP and the CPU, sucking from beside the CPU and three small intake fans in a 5 1/4 inch bay.

I have used this CPU, Heat sink & fan on 2 other mobos (in summer) with the same brand thermal compound and no extra intake or exhaust fans and the temp peaked about 52C under strain.

This doesnt make a lot of sense to me in that my case is much better ventilated now than ever and the CPU temp is nearly 20 degrees higher. Can this be down to a diffent type of Temp monitoring on the new mobo?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    moo

Your temp monitoring may be giving results that are different from other mobos (probably is). The cpu socket may be in a slightly different location on this board which may determine whether the slot cooler is helping or hindering the hsf.

If u wanna know for sure ur cpu temp buy a hardware monitor with a thermal probe that displays the temp on an lcd screen, or use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to check out ur temps if u have one :thumb:

Damn I wish ppl would quote their room temp as well as that is very important but I usually find a Gigabyte mobo's report CPU temps 6C higher than normal. Have ya got the HSF seated properly?

wait, gigabyte hds are 6C over? so really my case temp is like 41-6 (uh u do the math, im too lazy, i think 35)???
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Not the system temp but the CPU temp.

its what i meant, but is that true?? b/c if it is then my cpu really doesn't hit 50 full load it hits 44 :P which makes me happier
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Well it has been so far for each one that I've used and owned.

Hi People!
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm in an attic here so room temp varies hugely from minute to minute (a door opens downstairs and I get a cool gale blowing through here) as well as day or night. The temps above are average, doesnt vary by more than a degree or two.

I trimmed off some heat transfer compound and re sat the HSF and it dropped the temp to a peak of 67C.

So anyway, I shelled out on a Zalman flower cooler and now the highest recorded temp is 51C, with an idle of 44C, so I'm pretty happy with that. I also tidied up the cabling with plastic ties and moved my hard drive to make sure theres a clear flow between front and back of my tower. Case temp still sits at 29C at all times.
    Those flower coolers are pretty good and handy to install.
    Thanks for your help.
    Moo.

Gee if ya got a Volcano 7+ they would've dropped more but at least ya got it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information