Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major newbie cooling questions...

Ok, I'm gonna try to make this as short as I can. I have a Dell 8200, see my sig for all the specs. I recently just upgraded the HDD and sound card, and a month or 2 before that I upgraded the RAM and Graphics card. Anyways, now I'm looking at cooling, specifically b/c summer is here... :?: . I dont think my case is that hot, but then I dunno (how do I check the temp besides stickin a themometer in there?). The case has an 80mm fan (stock from Dell) on the power supply and the cpu has a 120mm on it (stock from Dell). I heard that the Volano 7+'s are good, so I was thinking of replacing the cpu fan with one of those. As of now, the fans hum like a *******, and I dont know how cool they are keeping my case (the case is a stock dell case, visit the site for a pic). There are openings in the front of the case, but no fans. So, I'm wondering what I should do here: I know I should put an intake fan in, but where, maybe some where in the front of the case?, and maybe another by the PCI card, which would really help air flow in combination with the fan on my GF4, and would cool down the whole PCI area. Anyways, give me some advice or an opinion, cause most people here know more than I do . Thx in advance for any replies, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

if there looks like an intake slot in the front then put a fan there and if you feel like a challenge cut out a window + add a fan or just add a 80mm blowhole over your PCI cards :P
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Originally posted by t00lb0x
    [b]if there looks like an intake slot in the front then put a fan there and if you feel like a challenge cut out a window + add a fan or just add a 80mm blowhole over your PCI cards :P
    Umm.. Blowholes go into the top of the case to exhaust hot air (hence their name) and an intake fan should be used over the PCI slots to supply the video/PCI cards with fresh air to aid cooling in that area which is usually a dead zone.

LoL i meant intake near PCI blow-hole at top and intake LoL im sorry my english is poor, english is for school, out side who knows?

The ThermalTake Volcano 7+ is the best HSF to buy right now. You will not need that much power on a dell though, since there is absolutly no overclocking to be done. If noise is a huge issue to you, and your mobo allows for it, I would suggest going with the Zalman CNPS6500A-Cu. Its just a big copper sink with fins, no moving parts involved! If you plan on sometime moving away from the dell case and mobo, and oding some OCing, then maybe stick with the Volcano.

I checked out your system on dell.com, but all the pages relative to my search weren't found. I would suggest that you make sure you have enough room on the mobo to fit a new HSF before you buy one. There may be some capacitors (sp?) around the socket which may not allow the HSF to fit. Also, because I did not see the pic of your setup, I dont know if the sink will actually fit on there with enough clearance for it to suck in air. Knowing Dell I wouldn't doubt if there wasn't.

As for finding the temps, these is a nice little program called Motherboard Monitor. Im not sure whether your Dell comes with the neccessary hardware, but its worth a try. http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dyck15
    The ThermalTake Volcano 7+ is the best HSF to buy right now. You will not need that much power on a dell though, since there is absolutly no overclocking to be done. If noise is a huge issue to you, and your mobo allows for it, I would suggest going with the Zalman CNPS6500A-Cu. Its just a big copper sink with fins, no moving parts involved!
    uhh Volcano 7+ aren't the best HSF they are good but not the best and Zalman heatsinks are **** 100% grade-F crap. Your better off with the stock, sure they produce no noise but they are bad at cooling

oh and about motherboard monitor when i install it my computer starts to beep why is this?

t00lb0x

The mothherboard monitor beeps because one (or more) of the readings is out of the specified range. It is a warning. You will have to examine the range settings to see if something is really bad or you have to expand the default range.

Thanx for the info Dyck, it helped alot. Yah, the noise sucks, but I really want better cooling over noise, however I feel that I def should be getting better cooling for the amount of noise I have (one of these days I'll get a decibel reading for yas :cool: ). Anywho, yah, no o/c'ing as ya cant do that with a Dell (BIOS are horrible, only thing I can change is teh AGP Aperture). Anyways, back on topic, 120mm fans should exchange with any other 120mm fans, as long as teh power is enough and the depth is ok, right?. Cause then I'll just swap in a new fan. Ok, sry I didnt post a link Dyck, here's one: http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/produc...e_desktops.htm
    My case is the one for the dimension desktops, the comp on the left side of the 3. That little flap with the silver Dell logo flips up, and there are two ports about 3 cmx1cm for intake, w. no fans :( . Right now my only options for intake would be to cut a hole in the side (to the bottom and back of the big circular dell logo) next to the PCI cards, but I need to see if my mobo will accept another fan (what specifically am I looking for, another power cable or something?). Also, I was thinking of putting a little 40mm or so one next to the HDD's, would that help?. Anyways, hope that gives you a better idea of what my case is like. Also, I have both 5.25 in. bays used (DVD-ROM and CD-RW) and one 3.5in. w. a floppy. Also, could I install a fan under my HDD's, would that help? I dunno, that's is much info as I can think off, tell me if you need anything else, or just leave some info people,. its been a great help already, thx. D/lin Motherboard monitor right now, I'll post the readings after I install it and see if it works tomorrow. It's late for me, so I'm gonna get some shut eye, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

how how can i change those?

Ya change them in the settings. MBM must be configured for ya setup and if ya have probs just go into their forums for help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information