Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SETI@home Data Server Status

Well, they're back and they have the following posted on the Home Page:
    News
    October 27, 2003
    If you are unable to connect due to "100" errors (or perhaps "41") you may need to exit SETI@home, remove the files "result.sah" and "user_info.sah" from your system, and then restart SETI@home. This is probably fallout from the user database crash a few days ago. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Whatever the problem I was experiencing earlier is fixed.:)
    :-(

Well its been terrible for me for the past 2 days. System was online last night and only submitted few WUs. I still had 30 left in the morning! :steam:

Been no probs here the last few days. :shrug:

well I have fallen victim to this...have to delete all WU's for tonight:cry: :cry:

October 30, 2003

About one week ago our user database crashed. No data was lost, but there was a brief period of time where the server was in such an odd state that it accepted current results from users, but then corrupted their local user_info.sah file, which contains information about user id and credit.

Days later, when everything was normal, users started to return results infected with the bogus data in their user_info.sah file. Unfortunately our server rejects these particular results with a cryptic, fatal "100" error.

The problem is, users are still left with bogus user_info.sah files, and their result.sah files remain infected as well. So the only trustworthy solution is to just remove these offending files (search for the files "result.sah" and "user_info.sah" on your systems and delete them). When you start up SETI@home it will ask you to log in again. The process of logging in with clean up the user_info.sah files, and download a fresh workunit to chew on.

However, this also nullifies any work done on the infected result. We apologize for that wasted effort, but in the interest of clean science the best thing to do is just remove these files and start again on a new workunit from scratch.

People using third-party "add-on" software to cache units may be experiencing a set of other problems that our beyond our jurisdiction, since we haven't written that software and don't know how it works or why it is broken. There are several threads on our message boards discussing potential solutions depending on which add-on you are using.

Return to SETI@home Page

So far I've only had that error 100 in 1 w/u (packet 11 in an XP1800+ runnin' SE, 1 w/u lost) but I'll have to wait and see if any of the slower PII's may have picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by elrado1
    Well, they're back and they have the following posted on the Home Page:
    Whatever the problem I was experiencing earlier is fixed.:)
    Here;s a solution so you dont have to delete your whole cache :thumb:
    " and for SETIDriver users:
    >>>>
    no, but I know how to fix it ;o)

first, copy the file "user_info.sah" from the SETIDriver root directory
    into the directories with the "messed up" returns.
    Then open the "user_info.sah" with wordpad and the "result.sah" in each
    folder that has the "messed up" returns and replace the following info
    result.sah user_info.sah
    ----------- -------------
    user_id=0 with the number from id=xxxxxxx
    user_key=-1 with the number from key=yyyyyyyy

and then just hit the [Transmit] button in SETIDriver

HTH"
    I hope it works for you guys :cheers:

Well the whole SETI@home site was down for about 6hrs today but it's gettin' back up now.
    Data Server Status
    The data server is up and running, but outgoing data rate is low
    Right now the data server machine is up, but its outgoing data rate is very low. This can be due to many factors, the most likely being our server's dedicated connection to the outside world is currently broken. Please try connecting later.

Finally after about 7hrs I'm swappin' out w/u's again but it's bloody slow goin' atm.

Data Server Status
    The data server machine is currently down
    For the past 8 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.

They seem to be going through some gyrations... :shrug:
    :-(

Data Server Status
    The data server machine is currently down
    For the past 83 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.
    They're still not sure what's goin' on. :hammer:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information