Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TT UD Team

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieVen
    I don't expect that I will have to carry this much around with me forever but at the moment my levels are so strange that I can bottom out an hour after eating so I like to be prepared for everything. It's also a pain because I am eating 5 meals a day and am rarely athome so I need to bring everything with me for the road.
    If you bottom out only a short time after eating you are definately giving yourself to much fast acting insulin [Regular isulin or the new Log type insulins] when you have high blood sugar readings. I was doing that for awhile when I was first diagnosed and as a result I gained a lot of weight because I was always eating.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    *shivers at the thouight of having another pump...

That's something I don't ever plan to do again, but it does work really well for a lot of people. I don't really carry that much around with me unless I'm planning on being gone for a full day or more. Usually just an Insulin Pen, my meter in it's case with a few extra pen needles inside, and a small tube of glucose tabs. All of it fits easily into my pockets except for my meter/case. I always find it interesting how other diabetics handle it. :)

:cheers:
    My glucometer has a case with a belt clip sometimes I wear it and just clip my phone to it. I only tend to carry a backpack on longer trips such as cummuting to work.. I guess I'm under pretty good control as I rarely have to carry isulin with me But I do keep it at home/work and @ my GFs place..;)

I'm using Humalog and since it works soo fast I have to take it before I eat anything ...so if I dont take my Pen with me I'll either get really hungry or my BG will go though the roof (and no one can stand to be around me when that happens :steam: )
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I have the humalog and humulin N. The humulin is supposed to mimic the basil drip. I take that twice a day and take my humulog 3 times around large meals. My blood sugar is still pretty high averaging 9.0 for the last 7 days. I'm trying to put forth more of an effort to sty around the guidelines of my meal plan. I have been told to gain weight also, so I am eating 4000 calories a day and 500g's of carbs which is more than most people would want i believe.

I'm slowly developing stashes of stuff at work and the gf's house, though I still like to have my backpack with me. I'm slowly bringing less food with me wherever I go.

How long did it take u 2 to get your sugar levels down to normal?

I also used the Mix25 for 11 days before they changed me as it wasnt working out well at all.

you might want to ask about using Lantus instead of N ...it's been a while since I've heard of anyone using that. Lantus is still fairly new and it lasts 24 hrs so that's one less shot. And what's this about needing to gain weight? That's a first for me... When I was first diagnosed I was terrably thin, but it didn't last long. You should get back to a normal weight soon enough without eating all that extra food. But I'm not your doctor, so take it up with them.

It took a month or two before I started to see my BG level out. But in my experience, it never stays that way. It's a lot of work to keep it all under control. And it's way too easy to let things slip and to let things get carried away. I've been down that road, and it aint pretty.

When diagnosed, were u in ketoacidosis?

I luckily wasnt. My normal weight is 170ish, but they want me up to 190. When I was diagnosed, i was down to 145 which was sketchy. I'm up to 175 now after 5 weeks of eating.

I don't think they intend to keep me on this routine for long. Once my weight is where it should be i should see a change in insulins. There was mention of ultralente or possibly the pump, but hte pump dosent seem like a good idea to me.

When diagnosed, were u in ketoacidosis?
    ya, if I had gone a few more days before going to the hospital I would have been in a comma.

The pump isn't for everyone, but it can be a benefit to a lot of people. It just depends on what your life style and needs are. Then again, some people just don't seem to be very compatible with a pump... like myself. I really wanted a pump at first, and I used it for about 2 years before I finally got rid of it (about 1.5 years too long). But I also know people who have been using a pump for 5 years or more and love it. If you can get over the idea of having a needle in your side 24/7 it may be for you.

I have the humalog and humulin N. The humulin is supposed to mimic the basil drip. I take that twice a day and take my humulog 3 times around large meals. My blood sugar is still pretty high averaging 9.0 for the last 7 days. I'm trying to put forth more of an effort to sty around the guidelines of my meal plan. I have been told to gain weight also, so I am eating 4000 calories a day and 500g's of carbs which is more than most people would want i believe.

I'm slowly developing stashes of stuff at work and the gf's house, though I still like to have my backpack with me. I'm slowly bringing less food with me wherever I go.

How long did it take u 2 to get your sugar levels down to normal?

I also used the Mix25 for 11 days before they changed me as it wasnt working out well at all.
    4000 calories is a lot no matter how you slice it eating that much is bound to keep your blood sugar pretty high. think about it 4000 calories means 3 large meals + 2-3 snacks in between meals there's very little time for your BG to go down during the day.

To be honest it took me something like 3 years to be considered under control but I've had a few lapses here and there, most of which were attributed to me going through stretches where I wasn't eating properly. Now I have a routine and I stick strictly to it. if my hours at work change I experiment until I get a new routine that works.

The mix stuff didn't work for me either when they had me on it. i think they gave me Novalin 70/30 back then [if it even exists today i don't know].

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    I'm using Humalog and since it works soo fast I have to take it before I eat anything ...so if I dont take my Pen with me I'll either get really hungry or my BG will go though the roof (and no one can stand to be around me when that happens :steam: )
    Amzing coincidence all 3 of us take Humalog. I combine mine with humalin U twice a day. vinnieVen: when you get a little more under control they'll probably move you to humalin U or Lantus. they usually won't move you to a longer acting insulin until you are a little more under control because people who take long acting insulin tend to not test their blood sugar as often as since you were recently diagnosed they want you testing often. At least thats how my doctor explained it to me when i was first diagnosed.

I wouldn't say that. I check my BG more now than I ever before. Anywhere from 8-10 (and more when I'm having a bad day) times/day. Back in the day it was almost consistently 4x daily. I find the more often I check it the more steady my BG stays.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information