Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seti@Home causing computer to reboot?

Sounds like the temps are a little high, although, let me be the first to remind (Let me change that to advise) you that it would be best to set the temp readings to degrees Celsius. That is the standard used for computers and it goes for room temps too, when related to your computer temps.

Readings in the 40's Deg. C are ok. Idle temps in the 30's are ideal, but not often obtained. Load temps in the mid to low 50's can be tolerated, but are getting "up there." Temps reaching 60 Deg. C and above are very risky and you risk shutdown (or worse) between 60 and 70. (If I am off-base with any of the above, please feel free to correct me.)

I haven't lived where basements are common in a long time, but, I suspect that the temps don't vary too greatly day to day.

Ok, I just looked up the conversion and 149 Deg F equals 65 Deg C. That is way too hot. You may need help with a better cpu cooler, or the room temps are high (like 85 Deg F/30 deg C, which I doubt).

Also, I wanted to mention that an appropriate computer benchmarking program will stress your system in a similar manner as a Distributed Computing program. If, you run into the same problems as with SETI@home, then you know that it's a problem with your system. If not, then it has to do with seti.

Hope this helps.
    :-(

Well think about it this way.
    Water boils around 220F, you cpu cant boil water just yet, but it still whoul mke it pertty damn hot.
    I would seriously upgrade cooler and/or add fans to the case. :thumb:

Yes usin' degrees celcius would be much easier for most of us here but those temps are way to hot and yes room temps at the time would be good as these will greatly impact on ya system's temps. First take the side off the case while it's runnin' and if the temps drop a lot then case airflow is what ya'll have to work on as even the best HSF can't keep things cool if the case doesn't breathe.

Installed two fans in case and now the temp stays a 52 Deg C with SETI running. Might look into a new (better) CPU fan.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's good to know. Keep that basement cool in the meantime. ;)
    :-(

I would love a basement, I could heat the whole house with these dang things!@! I keep the window open and these comps still keep the room at 25C and its about -5C outside

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information