Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with Sapphire Radeon 9100 128MB DDR

I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon 9100 Atlantis 128MB DDR to upgrade from a ATi Radeon 7200 64MB SDRAM. The new card doubled 3DMark benchmark scores and the graphics definitely appear sharper. However, the new card is not useable with most of our current and pre-purchase demo games!

Despite updating VIA drivers and to latest Catalyst driver and Control Panel we still have the following problems:

Older games - CMR2 wont load, failing while it tries to restore default settings having detected the new card; Max Payne, Cataclysm, Superbike 2000, Deus Ex etc. all stutter in action scenes to the point of unplayability or totally freeze!!!

Newer games and Demos - Freelancer, Hitman 2 games stutter as does Colin MacRae 3 and Moto GP 2 and other demos. TOCA Race Driver has almost completely transparent cars bar the drivers, screen headlight glasses and wheelarch liners!?*?! It stutters when you hit the brakes! In this latter case Codemasters confirm they hadn't tested this specific card but other Radeons worked fine and since the 8500 on which the 9100 is based also worked they were amazed it didn't run correctly.

All but Freelancer, CMR3 and Moto GP 2 were playable and running smoothly on the older 7200 with its meagre 64MB SDRAM, albeit with poorer fps and visual quality. The 7200 ran with the later era Directx9.0 and Catalyst 3.1 7.83 so what is wrong with the 9100? Cat 3.1, 3.2, 3.4 7.88 drivers; lower graphic settings in games; reloading games to establish fresh links with the new card, all tried but to no avail.

Soltek SL-75KAV-X mobo Rev. Q11
    AMD Athlon XP1600
    512MB RAM PC133
    Sapph.. 9100 128MBDDR Cat. 3.5 7.90 driver Audigy + Inspire 5400 5.1 spkrs
    IBM Deskstar 40GB HDD, Samsung CDROM, LiteOn CD-R, DVD
    etc.

Win98 SE all updates
    Directx9.0a

completely remove the current drivers (and make sure there isn't any remanining files from the old video card drivers) and then reinstal the drivers for your new card

take a peek thought the registry with RegCleaner to make sure there isn't anything there either

if that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling dx9
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

first uninstall drivers, reinstall dx9 and install drivers:).
    My rig:
    amd athlon xp 2500+ barton core @2.16GHZ (180mhz 12x)
    cooler master x-dream(with cooler master high performance thermal compound)
    mobo: asus a7n8x deluxe
    512mb of ddr pc-3200
    radeon 9500 pro
    pctv tuner card
    antec 5.1 speakers
    antec case with 5 80mm fans
    430 watts psu
    15" monitor @ 1024*768 32bit 70hz
    48x cd-rom, 52x24x52x cdrw
    2x 160gbs 7200 rpm 8mb buffer maxtor hdd
    win xp pro with sp1a
    all drivers updated

"They say that when you run a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices... But that's nothing - When you run it forwards it installs Windows"

:cheers:

Thanks, but I had gone through that sequence before posting in the first place.

Neither dxdiag or SiSoft Sandra bring up any relevant fault/corrective action suggestions.

Switched back to the old card (but now using latest 4.48 VIA chipset driver, Cat 3.5 7.90 and Dx9.0a) and they run smoothly but slower and with less detailed graphics -- switch back to the new card and you get much better graphics and frame rates but gain the stuttering when doing anything more than moving simply about the game scene.

I did wonder whether the new 128MB DDR graphic card was trying to push or pull data too fast for the 512MB PC133 RAM?

The Cat drivers arn't that good with Win9x oses so ya should seriously think of upgradin' to XP (ya playin' dangerously with that amount of memory with Win9x also).

Were you referring to graphic memory, system memory or both?

Wasn't intending to go beyond 512MB. The second 256MB DIMM was bought after the problem with no apparent detriment nor improvement in the symptoms experienced. Rats!!

As for XP!! I use it on my office machine at work, it may be more capable better in itself, but I hate its fussy interface --- how to make something simple so fiddly.....did we really ask for 42 ways to access each facility??
    Soltek SL-75KAV-X mobo Rev Q11 + Via 4.48 chipset drivers
    AMD Athlon XP1600
    512MB PC133RAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9100 128MB DDR + Catalyst 3.5 7.90 drivers
    Audigy + Inspire 5.1 spkrs
    IBM Deskstar 40GB HDD, Samsung CDROM, LiteOn CD-R, Creative DVD
    etc
    Win98SE + all updates, Directx 9.0a

Ya system memory is what I'm referrin' to as Win9x oses was only designed to handle 256MB (over this and the os can become lost within it) but I do have an R9000 and the pre Cat driver that came with it works fine with Win9x but no Cat version will.

:grr:

If Catalyst drivers aren't so good with OSes that are within the 'System Requirements' on the box somebody's goofed big time don't ya think?!!!!
    AMD Athlon XP1600
    512MB PC133RAM
    etc

Trailing through the Forums around the web, did I pick up that there is a possibility that it could be that the PSU (300W in my case) is not man enough for all the kit and this new graphic card which has a fan? Or have I got the wrong end of a stick?
    :shrug:
    AMD Athlon XP1600
    512MB PC133RAM
    etc

It's a posability if it can't deliver at least 185w (200w+ is better) of that 300w across the 3.3 & 5 volt rails.

Thread Information