Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DVD-ROM Driver / Firmware

I have FujitsuSiemens Scaleo PC running under WinME, with a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612S.
    As I was experiencing problems reading DVDs I updated firmware as per the FJ-S site i.e. downloaded zip-file of latest version, created boot disc, & restarted PC.
    Now the system cannot see the DVD_ROM drive at all !!

Any suggestions on how to proceed ?

Quote Originally Posted by gahill
    I have FujitsuSiemens Scaleo PC running under WinME, with a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612S.
    As I was experiencing problems reading DVDs I updated firmware as per the FJ-S site i.e. downloaded zip-file of latest version, created boot disc, & restarted PC.

I'm assuming you got the correct firmware update for your exact model and followed the instructions word for word.Do any lights on your dvd-rom light up when powering your computer?try putting in a cd or dvd and see what happens.Also check in your bios,and see if it is detected there.You should also check"DEVICE MANAGER".Have you called tech. support?if your not an advanced user,I would suggest you cut your losses and bring your computer into a shop and have it checked out.
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

sometimes, updating firmware can make Windows see the drive as entirely different hardware.

Often it is required to remove the old drive in Device Manager then reboot. At times it is neccesary to go so far as to remove the IDE channel, it is the secondary - then reboot and restore the channel.
    IF, it is on the Primary IDE Channel, I'm not certain off the top of my head what the procedure would be?

I would think it best though, if you were running the DVD drive as master on the Secondary IDE channel anyway:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Many thanks for response.

Yes, correct firmware was selected & instructions followed.

DVD-ROM drive shows no sign of life whatsoever: no lights & drawer will not open.
    Device is still in registry, but not seen by Device Manager

DVD-ROM is the Master on the Secondary IDE.

My next step is to see if , by any strange coincidence, the IDE cable has become detached.
    However, this will have to wait until I have a few hours without needing to use PC for productive work.

Regards
    Geoff Hill

Many thanks for response.

Yes, correct firmware was selected & instructions followed.

DVD-ROM drive shows no sign of life whatsoever: no lights & drawer will not open.
    Device is still in registry, but not seen by Device Manager

DVD-ROM is the Master on the Secondary IDE.

My next step is to see if , by any strange coincidence, the IDE cable has become detached.
    However, this will have to wait until I have a few hours without needing to use PC for productive work.

Regards
    Geoff Hill
    If you can,try taking out your drive and test in another computer.That way way you verify it is your drive that is faulty,because you were having problems even before firmware update.Any way good luck to you,hope you figure it out.: peace2:
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

Before tackling any hardware removal etc., I came across DR WATSON on my system and used the diagnostics.
    A disturbing message:
    "Windows System Driver core component has altered Windows system files.
    Module Name: system.drv
    Desc. Windows sytem Driver core component
    ... etc

<unknown> has altered Windows sytem files."

Does this mean I will need to do a complete Windows re-instal or are there other options >

Quote Originally Posted by Don... Brasco
    If you can,try taking out your drive and test in another computer.That way way you verify it is your drive that is faulty,because you were having problems even before firmware update.Any way good luck to you,hope you figure it out.: peace2:

I had one guy bring me a teac cdrw once that he had done the same thing to. It turned out after confering with teac of germany, that the firmware update had to be done from within win98 or else and thats why the drive is now a big paperweight.
    I constantly warn people against panicing and doing firmware and bios updates in a hurry for this very reason. I have seen many paperweights and dead mobo's from this.

Did you say win ME, it never works right anyway.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Quite frankly I've seen so many ROM drives turned into paperweights by firmware upgrades I'm amazed that ppl still consider doin' this. :eek:
    Basically leave it as it was made because in some cases a fresh install of the os will be required and in most cases it turns to a paperweight (if ya want better then buy a newer ROM drive). In most cases it just ain't worth the hassle or the very possible wreckin' of the drive (bootin' into pure DOS to do this best bet for this operation but still it rarely works). I strongly advise ppl against doin' this. : peace2:

Thread Information