Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Noob bios question of the day

Talking Noob bios question of the day

Ok guys this is the noob question of the day. I have compaq 6000t intel 3.06 with phenix tech bios. on windXP. Everybody I chat with tells me to get into bios main menu by hitting f10 upon start up. Weeeeeellllll it does not work that way instead compaq and XP managed to fubar things up and set that key to (f10) to a systems restore for windows. F1 goes to bios set up but does not allow me to see a main menu of bios. Delete doesn't do a thing upon start up. F4 lets me go to safe mode. ESC allow me to set the primary boot drive. So again how do I get in bios main menu.

Default Re: Noob bios question of the day

You don't. Any time you purchase a pre-built system (Compaq, HP, Sony, Dell, Gateway... need I go on?), they strip the BIOS options from the machine. The reason behind this is to keep tech support to a minimum by not allowing end users to make adjustments and screw up the system. Unfortunately, this also keeps those who are familiar with BIOS optimizations out of the internals as well as the novice.

So it isn't a Windows thing, it is a PC manufacturer thing. The settings do not exist as they were stripped out before the machine was even built.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

DOH So I can not check or change AGP options, memory clocking ect?

No, those are the features that were removed. Usually about the only thing left might be along the lines of boot sequence and such.
    My Toys

Thanks for your patience and your help on this question. So how would I check to see if my mbo is communicating with my 9800 correctly in AGP 4X or 8X. Can you direct me to a forum or article on boot sequence and options to be sure all is performing well in my system. So far I have the Sandra program. Augh it is sounding like I need to upgrade my hardware.

If you're a casual computer user then a pre-built machine is a fine investment. If, on the other hand, you happen to fall into the hardcore gamer or enthusiast category, you'll always do much better with a self made box.

As to seeing the transfer rate of your AGP device, you can just use the Sandra program you already have. Double click the "Video System Information" icon under the Information Modules section and scroll down a little.

Regarding the settings that are available to you in your BIOS, check out the documentation that came with the machine as it will probably tell you there. If you don't have it, you'll likely be able to download it from the manufacturer website.
    My Toys

Thread Information