Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I upgrade to get more FPS?

I want to max out my Quake 3 settings at 1280x1024(the res of my LCD) and have 100+ FPS. Right now at 1024x768 with all settings on highest except for BiLinear instead of Tri I get 90 FPS.

Here are the specs

Epox 8K5A2
    AMD XP 1800 (Not Overclocked)
    MSI GeForce 4 4200
    Detonator 41.03

The first thing that I would do is to overclock the processor. You should be able to get some more frames by doing this. Also, if you don't have 512MB of memory, then go to this level.

I'd also check around to see if others have been able to get this type of frame rate on an LCD screen. They aren't known as a gamer's display because the LCD crystals sometimes don't refresh fast enough for the action in an intense 3d environment and this can sometimes cause a trail effect in the graphics. Of course, it has been a number of months since I last checked into the LCD technology, so if you tell me that this issue has been fixed, then that would be welcome news indeed. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the info. I have 256MB RAM and will buy another 256, since its so cheap now. I'm still using the OEM HSF so I'm gonna buy a Volcano 7 before I do any overclocking. I have a DVI type LCD and from what I've been told, its better than a CRT for gaming when when being used at its default res.

Edit: I have PC2100 RAM. I would be using 2700 but my first motherboard was an 8KHA+ so I bought the 2100 RAM. Would it be better if I replaced that with 512MB 2700 chip?

Yes if you just get one 512MB stick of PC2700 you will be better off but do get the Volcano 7+ and not the Volcano 7 as the performance difference is worth the few extra dollars (oh and forget about the Volcano 9 as it's only an upgraded Volcano 7, just noisier and only a little better). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Yes if you just get one 512MB stick of PC2700 you will be better off
    Will it be okay for me to leave in the 256MB PC2100 or will it slow the computer down?

It will slow it down so if ya can't use elsewhere then sell it. ;)

What the hell are you talking about?
    Quake 3 doesn't need 512mb for ANYTHING!!!
    Just to refresh your memory, that game is 3 years old!
    256 is FAR more than enough. And your system is impressive for a game like that.
    You want to try it, go ahead, but don't blame the guy that gave you that suggestion for the price you paid.
    You can try overclocking your cpu or buying a new one, but over 90 fps I don't think it's worthy upgrading anything, as you won't have any reasonable noticeable difference.
    I'd suggest you to get a real FPS, like UT2003, Jedi Knight2, Wolfeinstein or MaxPaine.
    Cheers, Alex

alex777,
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but 512MB of memory has been shown publically to be the "Sweet-Spot" for memory amounts in modern systems; particularly those utilizing DDR type memory. Over this only has a real benefit for those running programs like Photoshop or DV editing and such.

There IS a noticeable difference in performance numbers by making the jump to 512MB. Even if the eye can't pick it up, the numbers show the added benefits. And after all, this is what being a Power User is all about, isn't it?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The PC No.2 in my sig started with only 256MB of memory but it was havin' a few minor "out of memory" issues which disappeared with the addition of another identical stick (I could only put this down to the high amount of info bein' shoved around during games for the videocard but I could be wrong). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Ok, go on, buy it, let me know the results.
    But we are talking about Quake3 here, guys, don't forget it.
    It will have a difference if you upgrade the memory type (of all sticks used), but I have serious doubt about the amount of memory doing any good in this case.
    Cheers, Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information