Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Radeon 9700 Pro Problems

Ok I finally got my new computer all put together and its working great. So, I install all of the drivers, updates, etc and decide its time to test my new Radeon 9700 Pro. So, I install Need for Speed HS2. It is unplayable. I went to Guru3D and installed the latest 3.0a drivers and still its the same. I read the forums and saw a few others also complaining but no solutions. You can see from my specs the system should handle it. My other machine, System 1 in my sig, runs it just fine. I'm running no applications in the background. Whats wrong here?

The main problem with these is power. They have an extra power connection for this as the mobo will in no way supply enough. A lot of ppl have found that their 400w PSU's just don't have enough juice for them though others with 350w ones seem fine but I'm nearly sure it's the same prob as the ECS K7S5A has which is how much is available on the 3.3 + 5 volt rails. I'll have to get one to be sure of this though but that's my thoughts on it anyway.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

what version of DirectX are you running with those Catalyst 3.0a's?
    they're meant for use w/DX9...I have had a few minor problems with a couple games since I installed DX9 and the Catalyst 3's

You could try going back to the best 2.5's and DX8.1b or 8.2

I'm running 9. I downloaded the demos from the ATI site and they worked fine and looked great. I installed Quake 3 and its the same as NFS. It starts at 90fps but as soon as I start moving it jumps down to 30 and starts skipping frames. I'll try 2.5 this evening when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    what version of DirectX are you running with those Catalyst 3.0a's?
    they're meant for use w/DX9...I have had a few minor problems with a couple games since I installed DX9 and the Catalyst 3's

You could try going back to the best 2.5's and DX8.1b or 8.2

Sounds like you may have the "stuttering" problem - there's several threads about this problem here:

www.rage3d.com/board/

I haven't looked very far into it, since I've never experieinced it :D

Well, I put in my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB and have the same problem running the latest Detonator driver. So, I'm stumped. There must be something wrong with my system but I don't know what. I can reformat and install XP and apps again but I don't know if that will help not knowing whats wrong in the first place. The latest drivers for everything are installed.

I feel so stupid! I tried Quake one more time and noticed that all is fine if I only move using the keyboard. Its only when I use the mouse that I loose frames, I mean it goes from 90fps down to 7. So, I had an idea to try. I noticed that I have EVERYTHING running through my external powered USB hub. I unplugged the keyboard and mouse and plugged it directly into the computer... Problem solved! My games are playing fine now. NFS HS2 still stutters from time to time but it did that before anyway. I think thats an outstanding issue with NSF. Anyway, I'm glad this wasn't a card problem, it was a PEBCAK error and I feel stupid. :D

Get at least 450 watt power supply
    Go to Rage3D down load new drivers and tweaker
    I have overclocked 5%.
    In the Simulator I fly (CFS3) the effects are outstanding, seams are gone and as you fly over the ground you can seen the cload effects on the ground.
    I don't know the effects on other games, but you have one excellent card.

Thread Information