Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question about my gf2 gts, drivers?

Hello everybody, I just had a quick question and was hoping someone could point me to a resource on this issue, or maybe if you know off the top of your head... which version of official drivers will give me the best performance on my 64mb geforce2 GTS. Currently I have the latest version I believe, its somewhere in the 40's at least, and i've heard some talk that for some older nvidia products you can get better compatability with old drivers, but I was looking for some advice. Also, i'm not worried about being fully complient with all the new games and versions of directx or anything of that sort, the machine is mostly just used for playing older games and strategy games.

The rest of my machine looks as follows:
    950 Athlon @ 1100
    256mb pc133 (@pc100)
    AOpen AK73Pro(A) - kt133a
    soundblaster audigy gamer
    10g Maxtor 7200 rpm, ATA 33

I tell you that because I have another issue, sorry if the question doesn't belong in this particular forum but I don't want to clutter up the forums with my silly question. I have no trouble whatsoever overclocking my multiplier on my cpu, but as soon as I overclock the fsb even by 2mhz, windows won't boot up. I am guessing this has something to do with my harddrive being only ATA33, and I have also read that this particular motherboard does not respond nicely to upping the fsb too high, but I wouldn't think 2 mhz would make any difference. Anyways, what exactly do you think makes my setup react so violently to the fsb setting?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me out.

Hello brerfox.

The KT133a chipset should allow more than just 2mhz fbs overclock. But I am not familiar with your mobo here.
    Also it should allow you to run your memory at 133Mhz and your only running it at only 100Mhz? Any special reason for this?

Your motherboard might have a fsb 100/133 jumber and if thats only 100 it might restrict you going higher.

Harddrive and other stuff should not stop you going up couple of mhz.

Andy

Ahh now I see in my motherboard manual that the default setting is a limit of 100mhz FSB/PCI , i'm going to power down now and see if switching it over to 133mhz will solve my problems.

In response to your driver request for the GF2. For mine, I have never found any benefit in any of the drives above 23.11. The remainder of your hardware may or may not effect your individual outcome. Best thing to do is just try them out. Whenever you find a sweet spot, just stick with that driver. last I looked, 3dguru.com had a wide variety of nvidia drivers including betas. You may want to give them a try.

Good Luck!
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Thanks for pointing out the website with the older drivers, I will just give trial and error a whirl.

And about my other problem, I tried setting the fsb jumber to 133 instead of 100, and I couldn't post. Although I could find no way to make my memory pc133, it seems to just be default to 100, because I did not change anything.

going up to 41.09 improved my 3d mark about 150 points.

When you OC the fsb, did you reset the multiplier? If not, then the combined effect of a higher multiplier and fsb could be the reason you cant boot.

When you set your ram to 133 and it would boot...Are you sure your ram is 133 complient? The fact that when it is set to 100 and you up the fsb by 2mhz and it wont boot kinda points to either the ram only capable of 100mhz or your motherboard not liking 133ram

Yes I have tried overclocking the fsb with the multiplier set to default and it still won't boot up. Also, I am sure my motherboard and ram are pc133, the ram is kingston valueram and the model # is KVR-PC133/256 ...

Thread Information