Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTA ViceCity Video hiccups

I'm using a P4 2.4 G with a ATI 9500 Pro video card and Windows XP Pro (Nothings overclocked!). I'm using the latestest driver for my video card dated 5-15-03 and I also tried updating the game to version 1.1 but nothing seems to help even when I tweak the games video display settings.
    The game runs fine except for the slight hiccup or slowdown while moving every 3 or 4 seconds. Maybe this is normal but to me its kinda irritating. Does anyone else have this problem with GTA Vicecity or know what to do to fix the problem?

The problem is that your HDD is fragmented. The textures load a *LOT* better once you give that sucker a good defragging. I know exactly what you are talking about. Make sure you clean up your box man!
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by XBoy
    The problem is that your HDD is fragmented. The textures load a *LOT* better once you give that sucker a good defragging. I know exactly what you are talking about. Make sure you clean up your box man!

I defragged and it didn't help.

Mokay, well that was what happened to me when my HDD was fragmented. Firstly we need to see your hardware. Nextly I am going to list some things that you should try:

1. Latest BIOS
    2. Latest Official drvers
    3. DX 9.0 (Required by Vice-City :)
    4. Defrag
    5. Clean your registry
    6. Run Vice City in 16 bit color mode (I run it in that b/c it practically looks the same)
    7. Run Vice City in a lower res 1024x768
    8. ALWAYS use hardware sound.
    9. Uninstall that 1.1 patch b/c you don't need it, and Rockstar recomends you ONLY apply it if you have graphical corruption.
    10. Do a fresh install of your OS.
    11. You havn't told us ALL of you hardware, feel free to list it. I bet you don't have sufficent memory, so GTA3 is ****ting itself :).
    12. Do the 9500->9700 Software modification/H/W modification depending on your mood

: peace2: out.
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

if those drivers are the catalyst 3.4's I would suggest rolling them back to either 3.1' or 3.2 because many people have had a great deal of trouble with the new 3.4's :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by theyneverknew
    if those drivers are the catalyst 3.4's I would suggest rolling them back to either 3.1' or 3.2 because many people have had a great deal of trouble with the new 3.4's :cheers:

1024 mb ram for whoever wanted to know and my soundcard is a onboard AC97. I disabled the soundcard and everything worked fine and then reenabled it and now it still works fine SO FAR. I found some updated drivers for my soundcard and installed them so maybe that'll help but I have my doubts. Yes your right about the new videocard drivers, THEY SEEM TO BE SCREWY! Some of my application icons are invisible now:laugh: . Damn ATI! They can never get anything perfect in my opinion.:grr:

i had exactly the same problem in GTA 3 (not vice) and i couldnt do anything to sove it, even defrag (and eventually new hard drive), do you think its my systemis too slow
    900mhz athlon
    128mb pc 133 ram
    64mb geforce 2 mx200
    need more info?

Quote Originally Posted by swinger
    i had exactly the same problem in GTA 3 (not vice) and i couldnt do anything to sove it, even defrag (and eventually new hard drive), do you think its my systemis too slow
    900mhz athlon
    128mb pc 133 ram
    64mb geforce 2 mx200
    need more info?
    Your processors a little weak and your shy on Ram but I think your biggest problem would be your videocard. Try the game on the lowest possible graphic settings and make sure you have nothing thats needed running in the background then see if the games playable, thats about the best you'll be able to do with that game on that system once you do that.

One more thing, make sure you have the latest driver for that videocard (Don't get it from windows update go to Nvida's home page and get it), the newest GeForce2 drivers seem to improve graphics speed a little in my opinion.

ive tried everything already that is possible without upgrading, gonna buy some more ram, pretty sure i just neeed better hardware, ill get a new vid card when i get some more cash, then a processor. 2600 possibly

swinger - your slowdowns are almost certainly due to aging hardware, I'd suggest saving to buy a new mobo/proc/RAM, rather than buying more PC133 because it is approaching obsolescence :( .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information