Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half Life 2

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    What were the first DX 6 Graphics cards?
    TNT2...

Thats what I thought. Boy thats a bummer.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Thats what I thought. Boy thats a bummer.
    Why's that a bummer ?
    It means that most of public will be able to play it. Not just the l337.
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by E^vol
    Why's that a bummer ?
    It means that most of public will be able to play it. Not just the l337.
    no kidding, there is nothing wrong with making a flexible game than can accomodate a wide range of computer hardware

but I've got the impression from zeradul (this and other threads) that he thinks any game that requires less than top of the line hardware must be crap:shrug:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

But for christs sake m8's, it will NOT run on a tnt or equal just because it supports DX6, my god have ya tryed ut2k3 on it's minimum specs!?? It is NOT playable then just imagine HF2.. They wanna sell their software, that's why they claim you could use it with that infantile specs..

You can lower UT2K3 to 320x whatever on those cards but it still ain't giving ya decent fps.. But honestly, who buys those games with system specs that low in their comps.. :confused:

have ya tryed ut2k3 on it's minimum specs!?? It is NOT playable then just imagine HF2..
    Minimum game specs give a real good insight into the quality of the game engine itself. I'm not just talking graphical, this engine will be limited to the same level UT2003, and Q3 are. Been there, done that.

there is nothing wrong with making a flexible game than can accomodate a wide range of computer hardware
    If it is capable of running on 3 year old hardware, then why didn't it come out 2 years ago? Thats my point.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

And let me say this, the graphics engine is only maybe 10% of what a game has to offer, IMO. But 10% is alot, and when I hear that a new game is coming out with the same minimum specs as a popular game from 3.5 years ago, its a dissapointment to hear. Especially given that FPS's are substantially based on their ability to 'look good' As opposed to something like Warcraft or a 'Tycoon' which doesn't have any need for a capable graphics engine.

Weapon selection and balance are 25%
    Physics engine = 15%
    Open source Mod friendly = 40%
    Netcode = 10%

Those are the things I look for, and any 10% is a substantial loss.

HL2 Known facts:

1) Half-Life 2 sees the return of characters from the original game, including a new character named Alyx who is the daughter of a scientist from the original game.

2) Half-Life 2 is expected to provide up to 36 hours of game play split over 12 chapters, each lasting roughly 3 4 hours.

3) Unlike the original game, which was mainly based in one huge complex, Half-Life 2 will take place in many other facilities and outside locations based on Earth, such as City 17, a harbour, a jail, the suburbs, a dried up ocean, and an icebreaker ship. Gordon will not return to Xen.

4) Half-Life 2 will incorporate GeoMod technology that will enable you to destroy or modify parts of the level. Ultimately this will enable the player to use normal world objects, such as barrels, boxes and chairs, as weapons or shields. The player can also damage structural objects in the level to bring them crashing down on enemy opponents.

5) Half-Life 2 will incorporate a technology that will enable objects to absorb light, therefore providing more realistic real-time shadow effects.

6) Half-Life 2 will require a minimal spec system consisting of a PIII 700MHz or equivalent (P4 2GHz optimal), 128MB RAM and a DirectX 6 compatible video card.

7) Half-Life 2 will be one of the first major release games that users will be able to download via the Steam client, instead of having to make that journey to the shops!

8) Half-Life 2 has a cliff hanger ending as Half-Life 3 has already been planned

Beefy Guest

Finally got the 600MB video and watched it today... and now I see what all the fuss is about. It looks damn fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker

1) Half-Life 2 sees the return of characters from the original game, including a new character named Alyx who is the daughter of a scientist from the original game.
    Anyone else find this sentence horribly contradictory? ;)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information