Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve stumbles in a big way. (HL2)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...718155730.html

If Valve is having this big of issues with something as simple as hardware compatability, I can only imagine what other problems they are having. And the worst part is that it doesn't look like any amount of patches will fix it.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

"The developers of the legendary Half-Life game said that drivers are not likely to solve the problem, however, it still can be solved for graphics cards based on VPUs from ATI Technologies, such as RADEON 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. As for NVIDIA GeForce and GeForce FX-series, there are practically no chances to find a workaround, according to Valve."

Hmm but does it mean they WILL fix it for the ATI side before the release? If not they won't be selling many copys of the game..

:shrug:

Yea, it appears that the ATI work around will be possible. But here's another thing I just thought of... If Valve is having problems with the CURRENT hardware, then omg, future hardware could be ten times the nightmare. Just imagine if valve had to write an extensive patch for each video card for the next three years :eek:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

The way I understod it the problem would not apear with the upcoming gpu's from ati and nvidia. Nv40 & Rxxx whatever they are called.. But I may be wrong as I only read through it very quickly..

Not everyone will be playing it on the latest hardware either so..

Some industry sources indicated that the problem with such FSAA is a known one and is to be addressed in DirectX 9.1 and next-generation graphics processors with Pixel Shaders 3.0 and Vertex Shaders 3.0, such as ATI Technologies’s code-named R420 and NVIDIA’s code-named NV40 VPUs and derivatives.
    Yup, it appears that you are correct. But who are "some industry sources" ?

That's so surprising. Considering how much Valve is pushing the game and how huge it is supposed to be, you figure they would be trying to figure out some solution to this rather than saying "there are practically no chances to find a workaround"
    Antec 1080AMG with window kit
    P4 3.06 HT@3.38
    Volcano 7+
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro
    1GB Crucial DDR PC-2700
    Creative Audigy 2

I havn't read the article yet, but from the posts it sounds more like problem with nVidia than HL2

nVidia has admited that their dx9 cards have problems with dx9:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10602

but I'll read the article in a bit anyway..who knows, I may have to take back what I just posted :laugh:

ok, i read it...where did any of you get the idea that this was a HL2 problem?? According to that article it is clearly a hardware problem, any dx9.0 game is going to have problems with the current range of dx9 video cards...not just HL2. And it is also clear that nVidia droped the ball with it's dx9 compatability since the ONLY workaround is going to be with ATI cards
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well, this is the first sentance....
    The highly-anticipated Half-Life 2 game will have a major bug with current DirectX 9.0 hardware resulting in impossibility in enabling Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing

and did you read the rest of it or did you stop there? I you could easily substitute Doom 3 in that sentence. The point was that current dx9 video cards have a major problem, specifiaclly nvidia's latest...and it is not the fault of the games

but I doubt it will be that big of a deal since I dont think I will see too many people running FSAA with those games anyway (at least with typical hardware)...at least if they want to keep those FPS up at high res
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thats true, noone will be playing D3 with FSAA on when it comes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information