Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How can I play my games without using the CDs?

I'd love to be able to play all my games without having to load the game's CD. I've heard this is a matter of copying specific files to my hard drive, and then somehow changing the location where my game expects to get those files.

How exactly do I go about doing this?
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

I'm assuming that you own the games that you want to use without loading them?? I do this with a lot of my games. Much less hassel and no chance of scratching up my disks by handleing them all the time. http://www.gamecopyworld.com/ , http://www.gameburnworld.com/ , and http://go.to/gamefix are my favorite sites for seeking out the no cd patches as well as updateing games. The patches you will download are usually zipped so you'll need an unzip program of one flavor or another as well. A lot of the instuctions are in nfo file format ... just use notepad to open them.

Depending upon the game you will find that there are a lot of ways to accomplish your goal:

1. Simply replacing exe files (always rename the original to something like .exe(old) or something simular just incase the crack doesn't work).

2. Running a self installing program within the game file.

3. Dragging and dropping files from the game cd(s) into the game folder

4. Creating entire directories and dragging and dropping entire disk contents into them

5. All of the above methods and any combination thereof plus a few other methods that I've missed.

Always make sure your game version matchs the no-cd crack version and don't be real surprised if some games require more than one attempt (esp. if you don't follow the crack instuctions to the letter and sometimes even if you do). If a crack goes real bad don't be shocked if you have to uninstall and reinstall the game and start all over again. If you are doing this to a previously installed game be sure to put your "saved game" files in a safe spot before you try this.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

it depends on the game. just go to http://www.gamecopyworld.com and look up the game in question.

*I am assuming you own the games
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    I'm assuming that you own the games that you want to use without loading them?? I
    Yes
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

Each game requires specific instructions and steps to use a No-CD. So go to Gamecopyworld as suggested and look for your particular game. Then follow the instructions on the screen and usually in the .nfo or .txt file that comes with the No-CD patch (use Notepad to open .nfo files).

There is no single univeral procedure for all games, each one has different files, directories and requirements for getting a No-CD to work.

Why not use the Virtual drive option of CloneCD? It needs space to store the image on your HD, but it works great. The nocd patches are fine, but usually when you download a game update it wont work anymore
    "Make FPS, not war"

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu
    Why not use the Virtual drive option of CloneCD? It needs space to store the image on your HD, but it works great. The nocd patches are fine, but usually when you download a game update it wont work anymore
    True, you often have to apply the crack again after installing patches etc.. but it's no biggie..

aside from using no cd cracks Daemon tools works nicely if you have the hard drive space to copy ISO's of your game cds then you can use daemon tools to mount the ISO image as a drive..

if you have Alcohol 120% this functionality is built into that program as well.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/

i agree with digitalDD. i have been using alcohol 120% for some time now and i love it. it allows you to rip the game cd onto your comp via a certian image file and then you can play the games w/o the cd or you can easily burn copies of the game.
    **LAPTOP**
    Core 2 Duo "Memron" T7500 (2.2ghz)
    Intel Crestline GL960/GM965/PM965
    4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (512 MB)

OK once the topic starts veering into copying games (whether you own them or not) then it starts going against forum rules. We've already discussed ways of playing without the CD, so since there's nothing to more than can be said I'm locking this thread.

Thread Information