Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Life 2

<center>Half-Life 2 Performance</center>

So of course the one thing everyone asked for was something I couldn't deliver for the first part of the Fall 2003 Video Card roundup - Half Life 2 performance. Of course there were requests for Doom3 performance and believe me, if we had the benchmarks we would definitely have included them. As you can guess, Valve has not released the Half Life 2 benchmark as originally expected and thus we don't have updated Half Life 2 numbers for you. The conclusion of the recent article did reference Doom3 and Half Life 2 performance however, and believe me I wasn't just pulling numbers and thoughts out of the air - I've got some basis for what I've said.
    Here are some Half Life 2 numbers for you to look at; they were provided by a reliable source, but I could not verify anything myself so take them with a grain of salt. ATI was running in their DX9 codepath and the mixed mode codepath was used for NVIDIA. No AA/AF was enabled and we're looking at 1024x768 scores.

<center></center>

If those numbers hold true then things definitely look better than from Half Life 2 day, but we'll reserve judgement until we get the benchmark in house. I just thought you'd like to see what we're seeing, I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on this data yet, just wanted to share :)

AnandTech

<center>Half-Life 2 Source Code Leaked ?</center>

And the Half-Life 2 story goes on...after the fake Gold announcement last week and several rumors indicating that the game is finished but delayed because of steam, several sites are now reporting about the Half-Life 2 Source Code being leaked sometime yesterday. According to those sites, "the source looks legitimate and appears to be about a month old." No official word from Valve about this yet.

More details here

GH

Half-Life 2 Source Leaked
    http://www.futuremark.com/news/?news...310/2003100301

Valve Software's Gabe Newell has made a post over on the HalfLife2.net forums with word that the source code for their upcoming first person shooter, Half-Life 2, has been leaked and he is requesting the help of the community. Here's what he had to say:
    Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Yes, this is not that funny considering the pre-meditated nature of the theft. If you have downloaded the source code or know someone who has (and please don't discuss that here as it's against the rules) then email Valve and help them track down the culprit. This is not cool, it's basically someone messing with peoples' livelihoods.

full version, coupon only................this is a deal for 9600XT owners if in fact they get the game as well...............
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/news/n...?searchid=5494

Wow, $199 for the 9600XT and the full version of Half Life 2..now that's a good deal..
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

...yeah, and you might get the game in 1Q/2004... :rolleyes: :D :D

IE blamed for Hlaf life 2 's code theft
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1307532,00.asp

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information