Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Life 2

OK I know there must be half a dozen threads concerning Half-Life 2, but from now on let's put everything here, then we all know where to find it.

<CenteR>

Microsoft Hails "Half-Life 2" as New Benchmark in Games for Windows
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Brings "Unequaled" Graphics and Gameplay
    </CenteR>

Ensuring that the long-awaited sequel to one of the industry's most groundbreaking games will not only live up to five years of anticipation, but will also give gaming enthusiasts a reason to fasten their seatbelts in front of their PCs, Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 will bring scientist Gordon Freeman and his creeping, shooting alien nemeses back to life - with the vibrant graphics and enhanced gameplay needed for a truly immersive experience - with the release of "Half-Life 2®" by Valve Corp.

"We see 'Half-Life 2' as a new benchmark for the type of amazing experiences that can be delivered on the Windows® platform, and DirectX 9.0 is clearly serving as the catalyst for the development of these state-of-the-art games," said Dean Lester, general manager of Windows Gaming and Graphics at Microsoft Corp. "'Half-Life 2' emphasizes the trend we are already seeing: Games for Windows now deliver the most cutting-edge technology and immersive entertainment available anywhere."

"DirectX 9.0 has been crucial in helping us create a worthy sequel to 'Half-Life,' one that gives Windows gamers everything they've been waiting for, a truly unequaled experience," said Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve. "We are thrilled that our relationship with Microsoft has produced a title that all of us can be proud of."

Among the singular advantages that the DirectX 9.0 API brings to "Half-Life 2" are increased speed and improved graphics - from more-detailed bump-mapped characters to more-nuanced lighting and delicate soft shadows that lend further realism to games on Windows. The central feature of DirectX 9.0, High-Level Shader Language (HLSL), allows for full-spectrum color graphics, video, 3-D animation and enhanced audio capabilities.

"Half-Life 2" and its DirectX capabilities have been critically hailed by GameSpot, which recently wrote, "'Half-Life 2's' characters are so detailed that even [their] eyes are modeled in great detail. So when [one character] was made to look toward the screen, the effect was that she was looking right at us, rather than staring blankly at nothing, as game characters tend to do. ... These are definitely some of the better-looking real-time 3-D characters that we've seen in a PC game to date."

Gamers Hell

VALVE

Ok Weta here's one for you

Half-Life 2 Performance Revealed

You'll see my own numbers tomorrow night at midnight, but we've been given the go ahead to reveal a bit of information about Half-Life 2. I'll keep it brief and to the point and will explain it in greater detail tomorrow night:

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...icle&sid=14358 :snip:

hey weta can you delete my last post Half-Life 2 Performance Revealed I can find the delete button : peace:

i thought all that was fixed........this is kind of a bummer in that games can be optipized to suit a particular vendor............so, depending which game you like, you'll be happy or bummed depending on your card..............what a crock, secondary royalties for in demand games, for a price http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11419

Half-Life 2 benchmark

Big up to DriveEuro for scoring us some Half-Life 2 benchmark Cheers mate.

Note: "Radeon 9600" is actually Radeon 9600 PRO

** Further Notes: Resolution is 1024x768, no extra feature utilisation (AA/AF). Demo used is all the E3 demos, with the results averaged.

Half-Life 2 benchmarks

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7826 :shoot2:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...preview_part1/ i here nvidia is coming upon pixel shader 3.0............

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I could kiss my 9800 Pro...uh sorry FX owners :D

will nvidia's emminent release of pixel shader 3.0 have any effect?

JSR As I understand it PS 3.0 won't be supported until Microsoft releases DirectX 9.1, could be wrong though. Clearly as things stand now, Nvidia's latest cards are having a real problem running DX9 software, be it Futuremark's 3DMark03 benchmark or Valve's Half-Life 2 game. Hopefully this is software, not hardware related and can be addressed and resolved in a future Detonator Driver release.

Here's a few interesting quotes on the subject.

Quote 1
    Speaking of Nvidia: "Gabe said his company is discouraged about recent "optimizations" which have led to mass confusion for people buying video cards which base their opinions on those benchmarks. He went on to say that it'll only lead to pissed-off end users of their game."

Quote 2
    "The Full Precision mode runs 24-bit precision, the way Microsoft's DX9 calls for. This mode runs Half-Life 2 in full splendor - the experience Valve intends for the game to have. There's no doubting that ATI's hardware is clearly superior."

Quote 3
    Refering to a benchmark: "Here we have full precision mode versus DX8 mode - NVIDIA's own TI4600 runs this mode better than its current "DX9" hardware."

Quote 4
    "In fact, Valve tells us that Half-Life 2 will default DirectX 8.1 mode for NV3x hardware based on its lack of performance under true DX9. To give you an idea of what DX8, DX8.1 and DX9 users will see we have some comparison screenshots – notice the water reflections between the three various modes."

To see the difference click here.

"Clearly DX8-class players of HL2 will be at a graphical disadvantage. Not only does this hold true with water effects, but other areas of the Source Engine as well - Source has been built from the ground up with full support of DirectX 9."

Quote 5
    "After running the benchmarks for a bit, we decided to have some fun so we started the HL2 benchmark running on the 5900 ultra system - when it was almost done with the 2nd out of three levels, we started up the 9800 Pro....

As the story goes ATI’s 9800 Pro beat nVidia’s 5900 Ultra in the Direct X 9.0 Half-Life 2 benchmarks – here’s the kicker though, it did it by nearly 5 minutes! We were all totally blown away to see the 5900 crawl in slow-motion as the 9800 blazed away at breakneck speeds."

Gamers Depot

Half-Life benchmark provided by AnandTech

Clearly a lot more can be learn't in the coming weeks. However if you're considering the purchase of a new high end graphics card, then I would strongly suggest that you wait until HL2 is released and reviews start to show up on different sites, in order to get a true picture of the current situation.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information