Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DOOM III uses DIRECT X 9 right?

i read this, but yet I have info that clearly states that it uses OPENGL instead.

DirectX.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Doom3 will use OpenGL. ID Software (makes of Quake series, Return to Wolfenstein etc.) always use OpenGL as John Carmack is a big fan of the open source graphics language.

What you may have read is that Doom3 will use DX9-like functions. Basically these are functions and effects run under OpenGL which will look similar to (or be better than) DX9.

And no, I don't think there will be a "DX9 mode" for Doom3. It will run under OpenGL only.

As PersianImmortal stated, Doom 3 was coded with OpenGL specifically in mind.

I'm not sure whether Direct X9 will be an option... you would think so, but possibly not.

Aside from the additional time needed to code Doom3 for DX9, I don't think ID has much incentive given that Nvidia cards will perform much worse under D3D than OpenGL. So ID has thrown their time into writing Nvidia-specific codepaths to get good performance at least on par with ATI cards.

Adding DX9 to the mix would then require Nvidia specific DX9 codepaths which would drag on even longer.

I have a ATI RADEON 9600 PRO, Only reason i asked, was becuase i hear it advertised as DirectX9 Series game, yet The Alpha i have clearly uses OpenGL, Also i've managed to get the DOOM III Editor to work withg it also, so i can edit the maps or make new ones, it rules.

I have read a statement by John Carmack about DX vs OGL, and he said it was DX because there's more he could do with it....maybe it was an old statement...

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

You've gotta remember Doom 3 has been in development for a number of years. Originally it was stated it would run on a MacG4 1ghz with a GeForce 3 in an old Nvidia/Doom 3 promotion video when the Doom 3 engine was first show to the press/pubic. I doubt they would bother putting DX9 strings in when it works on OpenGL. I guess for resellers and businesses stocking the game it falls into the 'DX9 generation' of games quite neatly.

Thread Information