Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

They will both be good, but I trust id will be very successful in pushing the envelope once again. Developing engine enhancements is something the industry seems to leave up to id, and it is this reason that Doom3 will be so substantial. Q1 will still be king by far, but nothing else has come this close.

HL2 really isn't introducing anything new. Most industries have places for those who rehash and revamp existing technology, but these companies are never the frontrunners (despite being popular-for whatever reason), and with HL2 only requiring a TNT2 to play, well, case in point, nothing TOO 'new' could possibly be occurring.

In a sense the two games will compliment each other, each taking their due portion of the gaming community. Which is good. Money spent on computers is good for the industry, and competition between companies is good for everyone.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul:
    HL2 really isn't introducing anything new.
    What? It's possible that the actual physics engine might (might) not be any better than Doom 3 (or Deus Ex: Invisible War for that matter), but the AI and some of the features on the character models are incredible. You've seen the videos, right? The things the soldiers do are incredible considering they aren't scripted events or anything, but actual AI. Valve has been trying to get a system to synchronize mouth movements with sounds, and it looks like they've done it. The graphics are pretty damn good, just because they don't use a greedy engine doesn't mean the engine will be worse than others. (it looks amazing in the videos, the lighting effects, for example, make games like Splinter Cell look, well, old) I can accept the possibility that Doom 3 will be bigger, but just because id has been responsible for the creation of the greatest FPS (and engines), doesn't necessarily mean Doom 3 will be bigger than Half-Life 2. In any case, Half-Life 2 is definetely "introducing something new", even though Doom 3 is too. Even DE:IW looks like it might be groundbreaking with it's AI and physics engine. Which game will be better has yet to be seen, but I can't imagine that either of them wouldn't bring something new. Now that I'm just about done rambling, I realize it doesn't even matter since I'm going to get both games (and DE:IW, for the record) anyway, but still, nothing new? I just couldn't let that go. :)

Beefy Guest

I'm kinda inclined to agree with Zeradul, expect of a couple points.

While both thes games will be progressing from further games, the leap they are taking from current games isn't really that great. Most things in HL2 have already been implemented in other games to a degree. Good physics in Max Payne 2 (If you want to see good physics, check out the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. demo videos. ;) ), lighting is starting to be done to death, AI comes and goes in different games... Hell, the FFX engine had some decent lip synching, although granted it's not as good as HL2, it's a small step up.

iD once again are building a new engine. I'm not entirely sure yet how well Doom 3 will take off, but to me the game is just a tech demo of what the engine is capable of, for other companies to take and do bigger and getter with (prime example of this is the Q3 engine). They are good at what they do, technology wise, but they still need a bit of work in the actual gameplay department. They are good, but there is better out.

However, it would take a tremendous leap for a game to be as revolutionary as Quake was from it's predecessors...

only liked Doom (the first one)
    especially bought my new PC to run HL2 :afro:
    Tomorrow today will be yesterday.

http://members.chello.nl/~m.mulder1/Neokicking.gif

I am glad we are all able to calmly discuss this :)

Let me just say one thing... FPS AI could come leaps and bounds ahead of where it is! and still be nowhere... No AI today can even remotely resemble human competition, so let me suggest that any attempt today adds little to what an engine can provide to the game.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I just downloaded and watched one of the stalker videos. It does show a very, very nice-looking engine. But I didn't really see any demonstration of physics or A.I. Maybe there is a different video I haven't seen yet. Haven't played Max Pane 2 yet :( . I'm sure it has good physics, but I doubt it has an engine nearly as accurate as Source, based on what I have seen so far. The HL2 engine includes so many variables in ways that no other game I have seen yet has. Density, gravity (not simple gravity crap like Deus Ex, which basically has one of the best physics engines up until around now with DE:IW HL2 and D3 coming out, real gravity), surface texture. One great example is a video in which barrels are thrown into water, with the heavier one sinking while the lighter one bobs. The engine really shines when a mattress is thrown on the barrel, causing them both to sink to an accurate level and the mattress accurately changes shape to conform to the barrel. I haven't played Max Pane 2 yet, but based one what I remember from the first, the game is more shooting-based than physics-reliant (games like Deus Ex and Half-Life were very physics-reliant, whereas Max Pane and many id engines are usually just heavy shooting). As for lip-synching, no game has ever had a lip-synching engine (or at least no game has ever had a good one). FFX had scripted lip movements in FMVs, the lip-synching had no part in the game's engine (FFX is kind of irreleveant anyway). All this considered, HL2 has to add something new. Maybe it is being given to much credit in the media, but it can't be just another FPS. It won't be Doom or Quake to the genre, but it will still add something. Just saw your new post as I was typing. It's true that A.I. similar to actual human intelligence can never be created. However, better A.I is always nice; if a game like Metal Gear Solid 2 had the A.I. of Doom, games, shooters in particular, wouldn't ever have gotten any better than Quake.

Beefy Guest

Good point there with the scripted lip synch. I forgot it was scripted and not on the fly. ;) There's a STALKER physics movie where they have a heap of people lined up on top of a sloped wall, and they get shot / pushed, and you see the real physics as they fall / roll / bounce off things down the wall. looks nice. ;)

I voted for HL2 because Doom was from the 486 era.
    Not that many people had comps back then...HL came out after the whole computer craze started, most people had comps and a lot of them bought HL because it was new and looked good.

In a nutshell : Half-Life (the name) is more popular than Doom (the name) and people are more likely to rush out for the latest version of a game they already know.
    :2cents:
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    There's a STALKER physics movie where they have a heap of people lined up on top of a sloped wall, and they get shot / pushed, and you see the real physics as they fall / roll / bounce off things down the wall. looks nice. ;)
    Yeah I have that clip, it looks damn impressive! I'm all excited!

Link Please :D
    - Damien

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information