Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

Doom3 looks to be more of an interactive thriller movie, than a run-n-gun FPS game like the original.

But all I have to say is.....I want both games ! :D
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    Link Please :D
    Just sign up on fileplanet.com (free) and dl all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movies.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by E^vol
    I voted for HL2 because Doom was from the 486 era.
    Not that many people had comps back then...HL came out after the whole computer craze started, most people had comps and a lot of them bought HL because it was new and looked good.

In a nutshell : Half-Life (the name) is more popular than Doom (the name) and people are more likely to rush out for the latest version of a game they already know.
    :2cents:
    On the other side of that, Doom has been around for much longer, and people have been waiting longer for another game in the series... Plus you don't see too many horror-based FPS out there, and Doom 3 is shaping up to have the full horror / thriller atmosphere happening.

We could all debate about all sides of this argument until we are blue in the face, but it's not really going to change anything. Basically we have to wait and see what the games do when they are finally released.

Beefy : I agree completely.
    SPAM Special Ops

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/123983.shtml
    This is the video I viewed that really showed me HL2 would be better than the other upcoming shooters (Max Pane 2, Doom3, Deus Ex: Invisible War, etc.). It's a huge .mov (QuickTime movie) file but it's worth the time it will take to download (even if you have to wait in line). It should show you why Half-Life 2 will be huge to gaming (not just FPS, engine this realistic can be made into anything with enough time). Pay attention to the lips and facial expressions of the character, it's looks slightly more realistic then say, a Britney Spears video. Note that it can't be perfect due to the fact that character models in a computer program can't actually talk whereas humans can. Also note that the game doesn't try to baby you like some FPS (including HL1) with unrealistic accuracy and visibility (note the guard in the tower at one point; he is more difficult to get a good look at because the sun is partially blinding you, as it would in really lfe). The only major flaw in the engine that has been around since HL1 is the volume level sounds based on your POV. When you look at someone, it is louder than if you turn your ear to face them and get closer, which is somewhat unrealistic. Other than that, the video is amazing. In regards to Stalker, I'll have to agree with Flaco and ask for a link to the video. I just can't believe (without seeing) a game being made now has Half-Life 2 quality physics without using the Source engine.

Must have skipped those last few posts (looking at first page, didn't notice there was a second), good point. See the video anyway, though.:D :thumb: But I figured Doom 3 would be the traditional FPS and HL2 would be more of an interactive thriller movie (or even experience, rather than movie). I just remember playing Doom and thinking "nice FPS", while after playing HL1 I was thinking "nice being Gordon Freeman." But it's been a while (a long while) since I played Doom so maybe I just have a bad memory.

Beefy Guest

I found the old video from the STALKER alpha - http://www.gamershell.com/download_3168.shtml

I may not buy either, im personally more interested in STALKER and Soldner.

But this polls about Doom 3 and HL 2.

Out of those 2 I think Doom 3 holds more interest.

Pay attention to the lips and facial expressions of the character, it's looks slightly more realistic then say, a Britney Spears video.
    How does a pre-made sequence enhance gameplay? It happens once, and its always the same. Now if I could, for example log on to my fav server with Roger Wilco goin' and mention to my buddy that we have incoming attackers, and he is able to read my lips because he couldn't hear me over the battle, then I'd agree, that would add to gameplay.

But since that is not going to happen, it does little but make the single player a bit more laughable...

Single player has so little to offer, and will for another 5-10 years at least. I played every level of Mohaa and both expansion packs all the way through. I played it for the recreation of WWII settings and events, and after about 6-8 hours (per game) I was done. In multiplayer the Mohaa engine is very weak, the guns are uninteresting, the sound is horrible, and the levels bland. And so it is with single player, after playing it once.

Multiplayer is always different, no determined outcomes, no scripted sequences, no cheesy mouth moving in unison with the sound clip..

In Multiplayer you are competing with human minds! The best opponent known to man! What can compare? With that said, multiplayer is king, and those engines that enhance multiplayer are king.

-------

Btw where in Minnesota are you Yawgm0th?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    How does a pre-made sequence enhance gameplay? It happens once, and its always the same. Now if I could, for example log on to my fav server with Roger Wilco goin' and mention to my buddy that we have incoming attackers, and he is able to read my lips because he couldn't hear me over the battle, then I'd agree, that would add to gameplay.
    I could be wrong, but that's what I thought they had done with the HL2 engine. Not sure if it's for voice comms, but they've managed to get it to do lipsynch on the fly. That's what I thought... :?:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information