Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Half-life 2 or Doom 3??

That would be really cool ! :thumb:
    Is it just me ? Or is there a lot more info for HL2 than there is for Doom3 ?
    SPAM Special Ops

Really Beefy? I'd commend even an attempt! If you are right, I seriously am impressed.

Now just add a good netcode, movement physics, plenty of speed, adjust game aspects to make camping inneffective, and implement weapons that are balanced, consistant, and deadly ONLY if used with skill.

Add that all to an engine that is well written and not about to be out dated and we'll be talking. If HL2 lacks many of these aspects then the lip movement thing is an advertisement ploy that comes off as too little too late.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Now just add a good netcode, movement physics, plenty of speed, adjust game aspects to make camping inneffective, and implement weapons that are balanced, consistant, and deadly ONLY if used with skill.
    The only problem there is different people like different game types / settings, so something that is speedy for one person may be too fast / slow for another. Camping will always be a problem, so it will be interesting to see if / how they counter that. If you put in weapons that actually need skill, it'll turn away a lot of crap players and smacktards... Actually, I like the sounds of that. Bring it on. :D

^^^

Regarding the real-time lip synch for Half-Life 2, yes, it is real-time. If you've seen the G-Man video where he speaks in multiple languages, you hear the developers explaining that the lip synch isn't scripted and that the movements are just the engine adapting to the audio file. I doubt it's reached the stage where you could lip-read it though (then again, how many people can lip-read in real life?).

I'm basing my vote not only on what I expect of the two games, but on how much fun I had playing their predecessors. In those terms, Half-Life comes out miles on top.

Camping will always be a problem
    In certain games yes... but if you tweak the weapons and increase the speed... Camping doesn't pay, at all! Many of the user made Q3 mods were free of camping problems, I swear!

Thats why I have such a BIG problem with all these games that decrease your accuracy when you are moving!! OMG FATAL GAME mistake. Make it impossible to hit people while moving, and ENCOURAGE camping, even FORCE camping if you want to be effective at ALL. Like DOD.. OMG that mod would be phenomonal if it weren't forcing everyone to be a damn camper.

What good is reality if it ruins the game?? The games are SO FAR from reality anyways, we need to be reasonable when you start to think 'realistic' means 'good'... Throw realism out the window, I want FUN! If you really think any of the 'combat recreation' in the WWII games is realistic you desperatly need a history class.

If you want realistic, we have a LONG way to go, you'd only live once, and most would find the game tremedously boring because events happened SO SO SO much slower in reality. The amount of ground you can cover in a MINUTE in Mohaa often took weeks!

If you are looking for fun, and I think that is a safe assumption, then kissing reality goodbye whenever it enhances gameplay is necessary, and therefore 'more realistic' never guarantees that it is better.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    That's seems pretty obvious, those are kind of what are supposed to be in FPS.....
    I don't really get your point. Why would Doom 3 have these but not Half-Life 2? I can only think of two of those that Counter-Strike was missing: good netcode (many cheaters in CS) and innefective camping. Both of those become irrelevant if you play LAN or find a good server (which takes all of 2 minutes, even with
    lots of cheaters). I have never seen a game that could totally eliminate the effectiveness of camping without reducing enjoyablity. You just don't play with campers. Good servers for most FPS kick campers and if I plan LAN (or even on a console, i.e. back in the days of Goldeneye) I just tell campers to do something or to stop playing. In some games camping can be a good thing. Certain maps in certain games (particularly CS) are actually made more enjoyable by having one team camp. I could easily name a dozen CS maps that are boring without camping. As for making weapons more inaccurate while moving, I think that was neccesary. For one thing, it makes sense (if you think a game shouldn't be at all realistic then why use projectile weapons ever? Or ever have to walk?), plus, it makes up for the advantage that you get while moving. A great example is Command and Conquer renegade. Weapons are totally accurate in that game even while moving (100% accurate, kind of like some older games). You can get into a shootout with someone and stand there for dozens of seconds, even minutes, and not kill them, even if your good, because people know that strafing will not reduce accuracy while making them harder to hit. I guess it depends of your style, but personally I like games in which you can take very little amounts of damage (e.g. CS, Ghost Recon, Goldeneye in in "License to Kill" mode). I can still play Doom (old Doom) or maybe Halo on Xbox with a friend (even though Goldeneye was the only console FPS I ever respected) and have fun, but it just doesn't take as much skill or strategy (in my opinion) if you can take entire clips worth of damage from cool (but often rediculous) weapons. That's what I play single-player RPG-style FPS for, not a game that's going to cost $50
    cable internet and a good computer (all of which I already have, but that's not the point). Of course HL2 is supposed to have a long single-player campaign, but I'll beat that in a week or 2 and play multiplayer. Anyway, I understand why you might be expecting Doom 3 to be better. After all, id made the engines for about half the good FPS out there, and most of the games themselves, whereas as Valve made what? The Half-Life series (didn't even design CS, just made the engine). Still, I think you are being kind of overly-critical of a game not quite done (they are probably polishing it and changing stuff so hacks from the stolen version don't affect net play), that you seem to have not seen (many, if any) videos for (you would know the HL2 physics, facial expressions and lip-synching are at least worth mentioning if you had seen the videos).

definitely HL2.

doom 3 does look amazingly good and all, but the very easily moddable source of HL2 makes it superior.
    as does the fact that it runs even on a low-end pc. it will be very popular among gamers AND developers.

i've read a lot about HL2....just for tastes, every object will have its own mass. every texture will have its own friction and sound when hit at.
    and if you shoot at a wall, it can break, and reveal a new texture which will make a different sound. the possibilities are endless...

im 100% sure that most of the games will use HL2 engine in the next years, if not even make their games as retail mods for HL2. :D

people asked valve stuff like, can you do games like GTA or Operation Flashpoint etc. and valve said yes to all of them.

think about this topic: "EA GAMES says they will use HL2 engine to make FIFA 2005."

:D

I'm looking forwards to both of them, and will most likely get both. However, I'm definetly hyped up most about Half-Life 2, just because it does so much more that the other games have never done before. Amazing AI, excellent use of shaders and bump-maps, great physics, gameplay, etc....too lazy to list everything that I love about the franchise, and all the things that will make it better.

However, DOOM III will still be great. The engine that ID has concocted is amazing, though it can only render indoor environments. The lighting effects, though somewhat cartoonish, are amazingly well done, and really allow the normal-mapping to be shown off. I'm somewhat concerned about it's long-term gameplay, though. I'm thinking the single-player game won't be that long, and then what? The multiplayer is little more than a deathmatch in the dark. I suppose ID is relying on Quake 4 to serve their multiplayer community.

On a side note, I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost and Far Cry should be up there. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks amazing, with it's free-roaming gameplay and amazing engine (dare I say is better than both Half-Life 2 and DOOM III?). Far Cry also looks very nice, with normal maps and such in no short supply.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

stalker engine does look badass from the trailers. but i doubt it even comes close to the depth of HL2 engine.
    far cry also looks cool, and is pretty much perfect for a huge war game. the maps are... well, almost TOO big? :D

but of course we dont know which one will be 'best' engine, but i got my bet on HL2.

I'm sure we all want to play both games really bad....and both are going to be awesome.

But I have been waiting for Doom 3 for a long time...I played Doom games as a kid so naturally that one gets my vote easily.

Here's some Doom 3 stuff.

Single Player Impressions

Multiplayer Hands-On Impressions

Doom 3 Q&A

And what everyone wants to see...
    Eye Candy

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information