Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Command & Conquer Generals: and Zero Hour expansion don'

I've done this on 2 systems now and the results are the same.

1. I install C&C generals and the game works fine.

2. I install the expasion called Zero Hour and it works fine.

3. After intalling Zero Hour, the original C&C generals will not start anymore.:confused:

I'm using windows XP and have tried the 2 games together with and without updates. System specs pass on both P.C.'s, and everythings up to date.

Anyone else have this problem?

The one hardware item the 2 systems have in common are VIA chipsets with the latest drivers. Could this have something to do with it? Strange the games work alone but the expansion messes up the original when its installed.

I couldn't say, I don't have Generals. It's most likely a widespread bug, however, possibly caused by conflictions between the games' files, possibly .dlls.

Meh. It's my opinion that anything past Red Alert is crap. Then again, I've never played Generals, and they don't have a demo, so...
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

there is a demo, you can get it here: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/ccgenerals/
    amoung other places

Spongebob, I've only played the original C&C Generals and havn't yet got the expansion so I'm not sure if I can help you or not. After installing the xpac, which CD did you use to try to play the original game? Some games, after installing xpac's, require the newest CD to play even when playing the original game.

Personally, I've enjoyed most of the C&C series games, although there have been a few blunders along the way...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks for the demo link.

Gah, lousy 3D Gamers. Lots of mirrors, but none of them ever work.

*murders*
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    there is a demo, you can get it here: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/ccgenerals/
    amoung other places

Spongebob, I've only played the original C&C Generals and havn't yet got the expansion so I'm not sure if I can help you or not. After installing the xpac, which CD did you use to try to play the original game? Some games, after installing xpac's, require the newest CD to play even when playing the original game.

Personally, I've enjoyed most of the C&C series games, although there have been a few blunders along the way...

The correct CD's not the problem.

SearanoX, theres no bugs on either system, both have recently been reformated and this one has been reformatted within the last week. I'm very carefull about bugs, if there was a bug infecting my systems, I'd know it.

I'll attach a pic of my game folder I run glitch free with the exception of Generals in conjunction with its expansion.

Game folder.

This is just a few of some of my newer games I'm running.

Use the original CD instead of any No-CDs, as they can cause problems. I doubt it's anything on your system whatsoever. Something about installing the expansion overwrites or alters a setting the original needs. Perhaps you use a No-CD for generals, then install the expansion?

Either way start with a clean install, install first one, then the other, then any patches, and skip using a No-CD or virtual drive of any kind and the game should run.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Use the original CD instead of any No-CDs, as they can cause problems. I doubt it's anything on your system whatsoever. Something about installing the expansion overwrites or alters a setting the original needs. Perhaps you use a No-CD for generals, then install the expansion?

Either way start with a clean install, install first one, then the other, then any patches, and skip using a No-CD or virtual drive of any kind and the game should run.

Yeah, tried it both ways, normal and NoCD but the results are the same. I have another system with a non-VIA chipset, so when I get time I'll put both games on there and see if they work correctly on that one. My original thoughts were that the game might have problems with the newest VIA chipset drivers.

This is my second response from E.A. Games tech support (below) and ofcoarse I tried all that without success.

Thank you for sending me your DxDiag file. I noticed that you are
    using a VIA motherboard (or a VIA chipset). We have found that this
    particular brand has issues with some graphic intesive games. If you do have
    a VIA Motherboard please visit www.viaarena.com. If you are unsure if
    your motherboard is made by VIA please speak with your system
    manufacturer.

**ONLY use the 4n1 VIA drivers on a VIA motherboard.

We need to reset Generals
    Open My Documents
    Open CnC Generals data and the CnC Zero Hour Data folder
    Delete the Options file

If it still crashes after the updated bios drivers. Try uninstalling
    both games and then reinstalling.

First, insert CD 1 of Generals in your CD-Rom drive. *Do this for Zero
    Hour Also
    Select Explore CD
    Open the Support folder
    Run the Generals Uninstall file. (It will look like nothing happened,
    that is normal)