Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Tweaking

First Hello to the immortal from a fellow Countryman,

I'm looking for a program, that I can run prior to gaming that will maximize all computer operations to speed up the game I want to play.

The Average P4 with a decent graphics card should run circles around the consoles, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. The average computer has too much other Sh!t going on in the background.

Genious statement alert: " When I want to GAME , I WANT to GAME"

For those curious, My rig:
    Theraltake Vaser II
    550 Watt PS
    P 4 3.0 (800)
    ABit 1c7 - Max 3
    9800pro
    1 Gig corsair XMS (pc2700)
    250 WD 8mb cache.
    (not oced... I shouldn't have too...:P)

I've tried the Windows performance Tweaks... I tried Game Gain (Waste of time). I made separate profiles when On loading they just don't start services. But nothing does the trick. If I could program I'd make it myself, but I can't.

Maybe you guys know a proggie to help or can write one, I'm sure if it was benchmarked appropriately you would have ALL PC GAmers running it.

Peace,

Mad2k3 (Note to self Update yo' nick fool)

Well one of your problems is that your using PC2700, which is holding your CPU back. You should be using PC3200. Although you should still be able to game no problem. I game fine on my 2.4c with an FX5600, so yours should be great

Yep, your PC2700 is limiting your performance, though not by a whole lot, really. I have my P4 2.5a clocked at 3.0, and I run things fine, aside from those crappy EA ports, for some reason.

You could try overclocking your RAM and possibly upgrading to get the most out of the CPU.

Really, though, there's not a whole lot more you can do. I've used the WinXP Tweak Guide, which gave me about 5-10 fps more on games, as well as much faster loading times on startup and general desktop browsing. Disabling all Windows sounds gives a nice boost as well.

Also, go into Start > Run and type "msconfig", and disable all of the useless applications to save some memory. You'll also want to use Ad-aware to scan your computer (use a custom scan with the maximum possible options), as well as a registry cleaning tool (I use RegSupreme because it's quite quick and easy) to keep your system running at peak performance. You'll also want to defrag every month or so, and switch to alternative programs (like Mozilla Firebird instead of IE, for instance) to stop from hacks, adware, spyware, pop-ups, etc. from coming back in the future.

Really, there isn't some magic tool that increases performance by 200%. All the tweaks in the world won't really make a huge difference, though, especially if the game is badly coded - Halo, for instance. I average 40-50 fps in multiplayer (though it goes below 30 in some cases) with my P4 2.5 @ 3.0, 512 PC3200 and Radeon 9800 Pro, and I've tweaked the game to death. All of the .ini changes and Windows tweaks in the world can't save a badly-coded game from performing badly, you know. At the most, they can make your experience slightly more playable.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Appreciate the feedback.. agree on the Ram... But at this point its a done deal.

As For the reg hacks, adaware and stuff.. been there..

And Gaming on my system is fine.

My question is can a program be devised to focus windows off of all the other ****s that it does in the background and make it solely focus on the game.

I don't think its hardware, I think Its software that holds everything back.. Maybe the answer is another gaming only OS. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I guess this has become more philosophical and less practical

Mad2k3

Never heard of such a thing, I'm afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad2k3
    My question is can a program be devised to focus windows off of all the other ****s that it does in the background and make it solely focus on the game.
    Ctrl+Alt+Del

Processes, right click, set Priority

I don't recommend Realtime but High should be ok. Never tried it for gaming but it helps benchmarks (thats where I use Realtime, since I have nothing else running).

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Don't use Realtime, it often crashes the game/computer. High tends to improve performance a little bit, but not a whole lot...usually a 1-2 fps boost.

Hi there Mad2k3 :)

It sounds like you've done everything possible to get the best possible performance out of your system. If you've followed my WinXP guides, and if you've used my specific gaming guides then there's not much else that can be done.

Sadly there is no program which will automatically configure your system for optimal performance for gaming. When you run a game, Windows is already focussed on the game. It is using 100% CPU and 100% graphics card for your game only, and background RAM usage (i.e. general system overhead) is minimal.

So really, WinXP isn't holding you back at all. The limitation is in the form of programming in games to account for all the variations and possible combinations of computer hardware, since virtually every machine is unique. Consoles for example run games faster than their modest hardware would suggest because the software is written only for one system setup.

As for changing OS, well in my research and experience, WinXP is great for everything at the moment, and certainly the best for gaming IMHO.

In any case just enjoy your machine, because it looks well setup for games, and the performance reduction of the PC2700 vs PC3200 RAM is negligible. :thumb:

Thanks all for the responses, so quickly.

Appreciate the information, I figured this would be the answer as I have spent a good amount of time looking for the answer myself. However, Persistence is key So I'll be on the look out for anything new.

Take care all

Mad2k3 a.k.a The Mad Persian

Game XP

Game XP is intended to optimize the performance of your computer for gaming needs. It tweaks and modifies various XP settings (cache settings, CPU priority etc.) and optionally disables or stops several Windows services that are usually not needed. The program does not require any installation, and does not need to be running at all times. Game XP extends your operating system's capabilities and makes Windows faster and comfortable for maximum gaming experience.

The main features of the program are:

Game XP has been designed to speed up your computer by optimizing system settings in the most efficient way to allow for maximum gaming experience.
    Makes games to run faster and boosts overall performance of your computer.
    Optimizes your 3D card performance for maximum gaming experience and much more...
    No installation or modification needs to be made to your hardware.
    If system analysis of Game XP match your computer then simply press the "Go to Warp Speed" button.
    It does not need any DLL or another file(s). It is just a single "EXE" file: GameXP.exe
    Easy to use interface.
    No installation necessary.
    No experience or computer skills necessary!
    System Requirements
    Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Compatibility

Game XP has been successfully tested and developed under Windows 98 and XP.
    It also works under all versions of Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP and 2003.

What's new

Version 1.04.1.17 - January 17, 2004

Added Save State and Restore State buttons to backup/restore the current settings.
    Added some optimization routines for USB, Internet and general network settings to improve online/network gaming speed.
    Changed the behaviour of Outlook Express after the Messenger service was disabled.
    Some minor bugs fixed.

More information
    Screenshot
    Download

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information