Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempt at dedicated server, need info...

Hey fellow tweakers, Me and a buddy have enough spare parts to put together another (crappy) PC, and our only determination is that maybe we could create a server out of it, specifically to run dedicated multiplayer servers for games suh as HL, BF1942, UT2K3, and any other games within this spectrum. Now I was wondering what a dedicated server machine needs to do it's minimal job, and what factors determine the success of a server. All the machine has to do is host the map/bandwidth for the game right?? Would this require a good video card, cpu, hd, RAM or what?? What is a server most dependent on, and would it even be worth putting one together out of the following parts:

HP case, with some crappy OEM mobo, VGA, sound etc running a Pentium 3 833 Mhz
    Something around a 4GB HD(barely enough room to install the games, I know)
    512 PC2700 Value RAM (It runs at 2100, even though it's rated higher)
    Some cheapo CD drive, Floppy, etc, probably with Windows 98 (whatever is on the old crappy hard drive)

Notice that I am not expecting anything even decent out of this, it's just a bunch of spare crap that is just laying around, and I have lots of time on my hands. Also, if it would matter significantly for server purposes, I could probably throw in a Radeon 9100 PCI card into it. Any help on the subject would be much appreciated.

I believe having a lot of RAM and bandwidth are the most important things for a server, but dont take my word for it. However I dont think having a server running win98 is a very good idea :laugh: It really wont be much fun having your server crash every couple of hours:wow: If your on a budget Id suggest tryin out linux, as dedicated server clients are available for most popular games :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by theyneverknew
    I dont think having a server running win98 is a very good idea :laugh: It really wont be much fun having your server crash every couple of hours
    Don't buy all the "oh so unstable 98 hype".

It's as usual all bout what you do with it, I know plenty of ppl who is running servers with 98se for weeks between reboots.
    I'm not saying it's as good as XP but it'l do fine.

Besides it suits older machines like the one mentioned better. :)

Beefy Guest

For most dedicated game servers, all you really need is RAM and a good CPU. The system you mentioned would be adequate for most things. However, Win 98 isn't the best option for a server OS. If you could get something like 2000 or XP, or a Linux variant as mentioned before, you'd be doing better off.

Video doesn't matter too much, as most dedicated servers are a simple CLI, so there's no graphics involved.

Alright guys, thanks a lot, do you guys think that the RAM I mentioned will be adequate?? Well, the HD may have 2000 on it, Im not sure, but most likely it's going to be 98, but if I ever decide to upgrade this thing to make it a little bit more suitable, I will take the OS into consideration first probably. Thanks.

1 GB of RAM would be much better, but if you do that you should seriously consider something other than 98se, since it doesn't handle anything over 512 MB very well
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Yeah I just saw your having 512Mb there, :o
    better avoid 98 then as mentioned.. :)

Wait....98 runs worse with more ram?? Im confused, someone please explain?

it's a flaw with 98's memory management (at the time 98 was designed 512 MB of memory was an enormous amount). Windows 98se works just fine up to 512 MB of RAM, after that problems can develop.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information