Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help, hardly any games work...

Hi, I recently just got a new computer, and I have currently installed demos of Colin McRae Rally 3, Warcraft III, Splinter Cell and Big Mother Truckers. And I have installed the full version of Black Hawk Down.

When I go to play CMR3 or BMT, an error screen comes up with something like this:

The instruction at "0x6ce247cf" referenced memory at "0x00193ab0". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Those numbers are different depending on the game I play.

Splinter Cell does not come up with that message, but it still displays an error message nevertheless:

Runtime error!

Program: ...\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Demo\System\SplinterCell.exe

R6025
    -pure virtual function call
    I did get an error for Black Hawk Down also, but now it just doesn't bother doing anything.

The only game I can get working so far is the Warcraft III demo.

Here are my specs:
    P4 3.2Ghz processor
    1 GB RAM
    256mb Geforce FX5900 Ultra (Asus V9950), with latest Detonator drivers installed
    120Gb HDD
    SoundMAX Integrated Sound
    19" CRT Monitor

I think thats about all I need to put. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks. ;)
    The Old Beane

100% Psycho
    May contain traces of nut.

Beefy Guest

Nice system there, and it seems strange that it gets errors.

Is it a computer you put together yourself, or is it a package PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Nice system there, and it seems strange that it gets errors.

Is it a computer you put together yourself, or is it a package PC?
    Well, I didn't put it together myself, but yeah, I got it custom made from this office company that my parents always buy from.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP Pro, incase it matters.
    The Old Beane

100% Psycho

What Brand Ram?
    What Brand Motherboard?
    What Brand Geforce? (I know nvidia made the chip - who made the card?)
    What Brand Hard Drive?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I actually know Beane from another message board, where I directed him over here to try to fix the problem. Seems that he's managed to fix it himself.

Clicky.

Oh, and consider this a shameless plug. :p
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Yeees, it turned out that all my games thought that my webcam was some kind of game input device so they all spat out errors at my poor lil' face.

Thank god for using the Configuration utility in THPS3, I might be still fiddling uselessly ;)

So, umm, you uber-cool mods can lock this or whatever... mods are incredbly awesome huh? Especially super ones from Zelda Universe! (another shameless plug)
    The Old Beane

100% Psycho

Thread Information