Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: halo what the?

Eh, like I said, sorry for the large image sizes, but I was too lazy to resize. I've switched them to links instead.

And the thing is, you're critisising an essentially two year-old game for not comparing to the newest games. Well, what do you think? Not only was the game made for the XBox originally, but on a television, it's also harder to make out lower polygon counts, textures, etc.. The way that you're comparing the game's graphics to those of UT2003, Deus Ex 2, etc. is just plain ignorant. It's like comparing Half-Life's graphics to those of Quake III.

When it comes to proving that my Pentium III was playable, it was. I used medium settings, no shadows, and a few other things, and got about 10-20 fps outdoors and 30 indoors, which is definetly playable, especially with a slower-paced game like Halo.

As for the Doom slip-up, well, sorry about that. My point still stands. ;)
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Beefy Guest

You call 10-20 FPS playable?

Wow, LOL that actually does look exactly like Q2... !! LOL !! And Q2 plays great in 800 x 600 on a 300 mghtz P2 with a 16 TNT!!! (and I've played more Q2 than any other game --) I had no idea Halo was so ****ty.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Dammit, 10-20fps is not playable, no matter how slow the player might be himself..

That's odd, I found it quite playable at those framerates. I got 25 fps (with drops) on UT2003 on semi-highest settings and I considered it to be smooth, and Halo is really no different. I suppose I wasn't used to very high framerates at the time, though...you tend to learn to play with low framerates, I guess.

As for your comment, zeradul, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...but from a technical standpoint, Halo is much more advanced than Quake 2. I suppose you may not like the art style, but that dosen't mean that the graphics are bad.

Heh, not all of us are used to high framerates, I'm one of them who can easily play a game at anything over 10-12fps, depending on the game,

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Heh, not all of us are used to high framerates, I'm one of them who can easily play a game at anything over 10-12fps, depending on the game,
    Heh, exactly my point. A lot of us here are spoiled by high framerates. I remember thinking that anything over 25 fps was silky...when I got my new computer, it hurt my eyes because the framerate of things was so high.

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    Heh, exactly my point. A lot of us here are spoiled by high framerates. I remember thinking that anything over 25 fps was silky...when I got my new computer, it hurt my eyes because the framerate of things was so high.
    Mine tolerance to them is simply because I've never had an all-that-great graphics card, I basically went from a 500pts in 3Dmark01 card to 10,000pts in 3Dmark01 card (FX5600) and I was in heaven, and the FX5600 ain't all that great, yet for me it suffices, even though its looking like I'm getting a 9800XT :)

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    I'd really like to know how a higher framerate can hurt...

And as for quality, Halo ain't all that great... Indoor areas are all using the same repeated textures, there's not a lot that's great about outdoor areas (no real vegetation, etc...) It's actually pretty bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I'd really like to know how a higher framerate can hurt...
    If the game is quite colorful and the eye isn't used to seeing them all in the fast frame rates in which they are it can happen, or if you get ya new video card and just set there and play for 48 hours straight :p

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information