Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: halo what the?

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    Of course, I'm not saying that UT2004 is bad (it's far from that), but comparing it to Halo is kind of, well, closed-minded. If you can't notice the key gameplay differences, then...well, what can I say?
    Close minded? You're just digging yourself deeper here. There's so many gameplay similarities in Halo / UT 2004 that you can quite easily compare them. Both feature various modes, including DM, CTF. Both use indoor / outdoor maps. Both use vehicles. They are both set in a futuristic environment with futuristic weaponry.

The whole idea of a comparison is to spot differences. That's the whole reason for comparing. So you're supposed to spot the 'key gameplay differences'.:rolleyes2

For a console shooter it was revolutionary, and introduced many gameplay elements such as vehicles and a good storyline in first-person shooters. You also seem to forget that the game is more than two years old. Games evolve over time, after all.

And of course it's best as a console game. It was primarily developed for a console after all.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

For a console shooter it was revolutionary
    agreed, but as a modern day PC shooter it is irrelevant.

I personally cant stand FPS games on consoles. give me a mouse, keyboard and a high res monitor and i'm good
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

Beefy Guest

For a console shooter it was revolutionary, and introduced many gameplay elements such as vehicles and a good storyline in first-person shooters.
    Yeah, it was revolutionary. What's that got to do with comparing two games in terms of playing? :) It's like comparing the prices, or the number of CDs it comes on... not exactly relevant.

Thanks for un-banning me, by the way. I assume that there's no hard feelings? Oh, and the custom rank isn't really necessary...I deserved the banning, I suppose. I'll stop being such a fool here...I guess I've been using it as a place to get rid of stress, and that's not a good thing.

*gets back to arguing*

Yeah, it was revolutionary. What's that got to do with comparing two games in terms of playing? It's like comparing the prices, or the number of CDs it comes on... not exactly relevant.
    Ah, you bring up a good point, but when you compare the game to something that is more than two years ahead of it's time, well, that doesn't make a ton of sense, really. It was revolutionary in it's time, and it was an amazing game all around considering the platform and time it was made in. Claiming that it was a bad game and/or comparing it to something newer and heavily influened by it is a bit strange, don't you think? Let's take a look at, say, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, and then compare it to Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. Now, which one is the better?

Beefy Guest

Ah, you bring up a good point, but when you compare the game to something that is more than two years ahead of it's time, well, that doesn't make a ton of sense, really. It was revolutionary in it's time, and it was an amazing game all around considering the platform and time it was made in. Claiming that it was a bad game and/or comparing it to something newer and heavily influened by it is a bit strange, don't you think? Let's take a look at, say, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, and then compare it to Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. Now, which one is the better?
    Age doesn't matter terribly much. You simply compare things on their merits. Halo was probably more evolutionary than revolutionary though. It was natural progression from previous attempts.

Comparing Rogue Spear to Raven Shield is a much better idea. Strangely, I liked Rogue Spear better. I prefer Ghost Recon over all of them. That's just the way I am. I also prefer FF7 over FF8 and FF9. Dune 2 over Dune 2000. Deus Ex over Deus Ex 2. Just because something is released after, doesn't mean it's naturally better. And it doesn't always mean that time will improve something.

Ah, you bring up a good point, but when you compare the game to something that is more than two years ahead of it's time, well, that doesn't make a ton of sense, really.
    I don't see how if something is considered "revolutionary" in it's time is relevant in a discussion of what is better today. Halo also had 2+ years to get a makeover, or add new gameplay elements (which it didn't). The point i'm trying to make is UT 2004 is better now, I don't care which one will be remembered in 10 years. When you compare Doom to Medal of Honor, which is more important in the history of games? Which is a better game? Two different questions with two different answers (as far as i'm concerned)
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

why r we comparing games it only breaks up the IT crowd and gets people banned from fine sites like these what we need is a breakthru in game involvement i mean i think mech warrior had it good with using almost all the keyboard which was more action to me than any fps and there was the ability too customize your mech now the one game i am looking forward too is matrix online.....one full city all rooms accessable hacking aloud but you have to cuver your tracks or therell be agents its already in btea and im gana get it when the beta is released
    enlightenment is only a god doing some tweaking

lian li pc60 black
    amd athlon xp 1800+@2000+145fsbwith swiftech mcx462 hs
    epox 8kta3a-e
    256ram150mhz
    20gb hdd 7khdd
    geforce fx 5200@270x370
    creative 5.1 live
    cd burner

Quote Originally Posted by warelf
    why r we comparing games it only breaks up the IT crowd and gets people banned from fine sites like these what we need is a breakthru in game involvement i mean i think mech warrior had it good with using almost all the keyboard which was more action to me than any fps and there was the ability too customize your mech now the one game i am looking forward too is matrix online.....one full city all rooms accessable hacking aloud but you have to cuver your tracks or therell be agents its already in btea and im gana get it when the beta is released
    man.....what the f#@k did you just say?
    ASUS A7V333
    AMD 3000 XP +
    ATI 9800 XT 256MB
    1 GIG PC 2700
    ANTEC P-160

Quote Originally Posted by JSN
    man.....what the f#@k did you just say?
    seems perfectly legible to me
    you must need glasses, because i know your not trying to start somthing...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information