Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doom 3 Worries

Default Doom 3 Worries

As any other gamer is, I'm extremely pumped for the release of Doom 3 on August 3rd. But I'm worried that my comp won't run it the way I'd like it to. I have a pentium 4 1.9 ghz with 512 megs of hynix ram. Video card is a GForce 4 Ti 4400. Any last pointers or upgrading tips you guys can give me before the game releases in a few weeks without having to buy a new rig? I plan on buying another stick of cosair 512 megs pc-3200 tomorrow but I'm still afraid that's not enough. What would you do? Thanks all.

Default Re: Doom 3 Worries

It'll play it, but it will play like crap. You'd have to make it look pretty ugly to get good FPS. Upgrading that video and processor would be a good step. 512MB of PC3200 will be enough memory to run it just fine, but the other stuff is going to be holding you back.

It will play okay, but not like crap as Yawgy said.

That depends on what you define as "okay" and "crap." You won't have to run it a 640x480 in 16bit colors or anything, but it won't be running at 1024x768 with high settings and AA or AF. It won't be nearly as pretty as it's really meant to be. It's going to be quite demanding and you'll want to upgrade when you get the chance.

Thanks for the replys. What video cards do you fellas have? i'd love the x800 if i had the money... Has anyone seen some good deals on some next gen cards? thanks. Any suggestions?

Just go with whatever is at Newegg if you're in the U.S. The Sappire 9800 Pro will run the game very well and is under $200. For not much more, though, you can get a 6800. This one is only $90.
    But I think the processor is a big problem, too. Even if you got a better video card, you would be very CPU-limited and still have about "okay" performance.

I have a Radeon 9200SE but I don't intend to get Doom 3 if I don't have my 9800 Pro by then. No point in buying a game if I'm below minimum specifications. It would have to be at the lowest settings possible just to get 20FPS while shooting, probably.

All right. I think I might start looking into a new rig maybe then instead of putting a lot of money towards upgrading. Hopefully I can figure something out before Half-Life 2 and s.t.a.l.k.e.r release. Actually, i'm not too familiar with the specs of my mobo, but do you think it might be worth upgrading to a new processesor? Of course if i did this i'd buy another 512 of ram and a new video card too. Thanks.

If you don't know about your mobo than you need to get a new mobo and CPU.

Though not a huge fan of [H]ard|OCP, some might find this article helpful. A quick synopsis indicates that even folks with a 1.5GHz P4 and an old MX440 card will be able to play D3. Granted the higher end stuff will allow you to set more graphical qualities to insane levels, but most of us should be able to play the game and play it well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

In that article though, it doesn't look very encouraging for those who went and bought themselves a X800XT. My past 3 video cards have been ATI, but those benchmarks make an argument for the 6800GT. I can't wait to see how it will play on my 9800 pro, as I hope that I can hold out till the next generations of video cards come out.
    Just1tree

"I feel the need....the need for speed!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information