Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jedi Knight II

Is Anyone playing this game yet ? Looks good but needs a min Ti200 to appreciate the game ive been told

Quake III engine generallly looks good anyway
    Athlon XP 1800 + @ 1600
    Gigabyte Ga-7va KT-400
    ASus Gf4 Ti 4200 128
    Seagate Barracuda III
    512mb Kingmax DDR 333

I've played it through once already, and now I'm trying to get through the levels without cheating. Unfortunately, that's rather difficult as half the levels don't end upon completion of all objectives. Currently, I'm done with the 5th level, but the damn thing won't acknowledge that I've reached a certain ship. Obviously, this is pissing me off. I really wish that the game didn't have these level ending flaws, as they spoil an otherwise perfect single player game.

They butchered it.
    The scum-sucking two timing *******s at Raven butchered what was once the best single-player FPS series of all time.

Where to begin....
    *considers the effort required to write a 3000 word criticism, then reonsiders* Here's a short precie (sp?): :)

I think morgan lander's experience pretty much summarises the generally buggy nature of the game. Problems with event triggers, scripting is unreliable at best, massive swimming/leaving/entering water bugs, invisible wall bugs, general graphical glitches, and various other annoyances.

Stormtroopers are no longer an enemy. In Dark Forces it required every ounce of skill to dodge laser blasts, bolts, and other nasties launched at you by the surprisingly resourceful AI. In JK2:JO, however, you simply walk into a room with the lightsaber out, laugh at the 30-40 enemies swarming around you, go get a cup of coffee, come back 30 minutes later to see that you've lost 0 health and there are 30-40 dead bodies on the floor. They call it "projectile deflection", but this force effect is way to pronouned. It ruins gameplay. Once you get the lightsaber you can play through the entire game without switching weapons once.

Then we have the secret areas. In the original DF2:JK and MoTS there was this amazing sound that played whenever you found a secret (and the screen flashed a lurvely tinted blue), very REWARDING. No such luck for JK2:JO.

Also, you don't actually get ANYTHING for finding secret areas, just a pat on the back when you go onto the next level and smile with satisfaction at your prerfect stats...*ahem*. In JK1 secrets gave you 'force points' with which to upgrade your force stats, again, no such luck in JK2:JO (see below). In addition to this, there are bugs (!) that on some levels prevent you from discovering all the secrets.

< spoiler > For example in ns_streets, a trigger event does not run which prevents discovery of the SECOND secret in the bar at the beginning of the level< /spoiler > Most annoying! Further, the secrets are very - and I mean VERY - easy to find. Some simply involve making prolific use of force jump to get to an obvious platform (read: JUMPING PUZZLE).

In JK1 it would be more like: "hunt around for 10 minutes, shooting at strangely marked textures; find a well-hidden grate in a dark corner of the room; emerge into a vast cavern and be greeted with the ever-satisfying 'secret area' message, navigate a hoard of droids ('avail the defender' whahahaha :laugh:) and get some goodies."

Perhaps most annoying of all is the fact that the secret areas don't actually give the player anything USEFUL. Usually bacta canisters or ammo...umm, yay....and forgive my lack of enthusiasm (espcially considering there is a force power that allows you to instantly heal yourself, and force energy replenishes - hence: unlimited bacta). :

The little thingeths doth maketh the gameth. ;)

Other crap (or largely disappointing) things about the game:
    • Soundtrack - comprised of 2-3 tracks of 3:00min each, very repetitive, not the usual John Williams standard, poor orchestral rendition.
    • AI in general.
    • Very poor level design - linear, boring, uninteresting missions (in DF and JK1/MotS you'd be overwhelmed by the sheer size of levels, get lost and utterly confused and frustrated by their labyrinthine properties; JK2:JO, however, lacks all these qualities that made the previous games in the series the classics that they are; they are clearly catering for a mainstream audience, the kind of people who cheat to finish a game [no offence morgan :D ...also, in level 5 there is a trigger command to bypass the bug, check the lucasforums for more info, I didn't encounter this problem but I know many other people that did].
    • Force powers, you can't choose light or dark side, you can't choose which powers to max out, it's ALL automatically generated which drastically lessens the replay value and makes the game BORING.

Perhaps I am being a little harsh. As an avid DF fan this game could ONLY be a disappointment to me. That said, I think Raven did an OK job in bringing the series forward; however, they neglected several key things make a good game - namely, GAMEPLAY.

And even the graphics aren't as good as everone's saying they are. Of course, graphics are always secondary to gameplay, but the low quality textures and disgustingly sparse player models leave much to be desired.

MP is pretty good, however. :)
    Ahhh....../me feels mucho better now. SLASH rant. :D
    Scuse long post.
    <font face="verdana" size="2">jaani.
    <a href="http://www.jaani.net/" target="_new">website.</a>
    <a href="http://www.overclockers.com.au/pcdb/view.php?page=stats&name=jaani" target="_new">computer.</a>
    <a href="mailto:riordan@jaani.net">e-mail.</a>

Beefy Guest

*points to jaani*

The force is strong in this one.... but there is much hatred in him as well.....

[/bad Star Wars pun]

Does this mean i should get the game *not* :laugh:
    Athlon XP 1800 + @ 1600
    Gigabyte Ga-7va KT-400
    ASus Gf4 Ti 4200 128
    Seagate Barracuda III
    512mb Kingmax DDR 333

Quote Originally Posted by volton
    Does this mean i should get the game *not* :laugh:
    atomic mag gave it 9 or 9.5 or something good....its strange how different peoples views on different games can be...really you should try it before you decide its crap volton:p
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    *points to jaani*

The force is strong in this one.... but there is much hatred in him as well.....
    LOL Beefy. hehe just venting...mwahaha :devil win

Anyone considering the game should definitely give it a go; MP is excellent fun (played it at a LAN recently, Lightsaber duels rock!), and despite the points I mentioned above it is still an excellent game. Hardly a 9.5/10 or whatever Atomic gave it (*cough* unlike more reputable *cough* gaming mags) but still an enjoyable Star Wars romp nonetheless.

Uhoh, I feel myself ranting again. *slaps self* :D
    <font face="verdana" size="2">jaani.
    <a href="http://www.jaani.net/" target="_new">website.</a>
    <a href="http://www.overclockers.com.au/pcdb/view.php?page=stats&name=jaani" target="_new">computer.</a>
    <a href="mailto:riordan@jaani.net">e-mail.</a>

yeah...i could go for a light saber duel right now...shwing, shwing...*drool*
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

Beefy Guest

shwing shwing? what, is it wayne and garth having the duel or something? :)

Very observant Beefy. I believe the text based version of a light sabre being swung is a little something like this:
    Schwong Schwararaaa Shroorccch

Anyway, lets hope Raven did good with SoF2:Double Helix.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information