Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Be very carefull about what P.C. game titles you buy today.

Default Be very carefull about what P.C. game titles you buy today.

Read this link about a new piracy protection (Starforce) some companies use for their software. It installs a virus onto your system that does not come off even when you uninstall the game. This can lead to major problems.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/48427

I have reason to beleive Starforce had something to do with my last harddrive failure in my raid array. I beleive it can even damage your hardware!

Default Re: Be very carefull about what P.C. game titles you buy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Read this link about a new piracy protection (Starforce) some companies use for their software. It installs a virus onto your system that does not come off even when you uninstall the game. This can lead to major problems.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/48427

I have reason to beleive Starforce had something to do with my last harddrive failure in my raid array. I beleive it can even damage your hardware!
    Interesting. I didnt know Starforce did that, thought it was just another type of copy protection.

F them. I still play it for free. If it's good I will buy it and use a no-cd crack merely for faster loading times and no cd swapping when I want to play a game. If they want to try to fine me for "illegal use" or some b.s. like that I'll just hold up my receipt, and then punch them for making my computer suck even more. Adware and spyware and the works is bad enough. I'll remove whatever they give me. Anyways, people like that make me mad. Time to play more battlefield WITHOUT THE CD!!!!!

ClonyXXL + Alcohol 120% + Megagames = for starforce
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

You may find that starforce is already on your computer.

It has been around for a while now. Ive had it install silently through IL2:Sturmovic.

it shows up in device manager under Non-Plug and Play drivers. Make sure to show hidden devices.

Edit: i guess everyone that had read the info at the link would already have seen the info about device manager. The first part of my post is relevent though still.
    Last edited by Dynamic; 05-18-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Be very carefull about what P.C. game titles you buy today.

Grrrrrr!
    Damn The Adventure Company, sheesh! Thanks for posting on this, I knew nothing about it. However I've now found a tool to remove this crap! the file is here: http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55 click the red text at center of the page. Apparently there is also another file floating around the net called sfclean.exe that does the same, but I couldn't find a direct download.

Thread Information