Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I buy enough to play BF2??

Default Did I buy enough to play BF2??

Hi-speed Cable ISP
    AMD Athlon™64 3500+ w/ HTT
    Enermax EG565P SLI 535watt psu
    GigaByte GA-K8N PRO-SLI nForce4-939
    Corsair 2X512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR
    Hitachi 160GB SATA150 7200rpm HDD
    eVGA NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT 256MB 16X PCIe

I'm assuming the CPU & video card are enough, but do I need another gig of ram?

I haven't upgraded to a new computer for the past 6 years and finally did with the rig above and want to buy a few games that will blow me away. I am surfing gamespot which seems to be an excellent site, and so far this game and Worlds of Warcraft seems like must-have's.

Default Re: Did I buy enough to play BF2??

You do not have to start new threads...especially the fact that you have like a long ass thread on a new build anyway....and yes you do...especially for wow.

Well I don't know, I mean theres only a couple people viewing that other thread. and interest in threads die off...people unsubscribe after a point etc. And to me this is enough of a different topic and worthy of a new thread. I have a lot of hobbies and I am a long time forum junkie for many years....member of various car forums, audiophile forums, videophile forums, dog forums, reef tank forums, freshwater tank forums, bodybuilding forums, sports forums, credit forums, landscaping forums....you name it. And after so many years of this you learn how to maximize responses to questions you have. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry, but I am just trying to get the most possible answers when questions arise.

And for the record the main reason I ask this question is b/c I heard a few opinions that you really need 2gig ram to play this game online, which would suck for me b/c I bought 2X512. if I bought 1X1gig i could just buy another 1X1gig, but otherwise I think I'd have to pull the memory I just bought and add 2X1gig, which would suck.
    Last edited by kbreese; 12-11-2005 at 10:02 AM.

If another Gb of ram is within your budget I would say yes buy it, I have had BF2 top out at 800Mb of ram usage, combine that with Windows and background apps and all of a sudden you're using the page file intensively. More memory, less pagefile.

Check your board for dual channel hitches, don't some nf4 boards have bus speed problems with all 4 ram slots filled? you say you have 2 x 512 is why I mention this as 4 x 512 may give that problem, 2 x 1Gb sticks would be the way to go if that is the scenario.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by kbreese
    if I bought 1X1gig i could just buy another 1X1gig, but otherwise I think I'd have to pull the memory I just bought and add 2X1gig, which would suck.
    Why didn't you just get dual 1GB sticks in the first place like I said in the other thread? Now this is indeed the dilema you're in. You can play the game just fine with a GB of RAM, but you will have to hold settings down and hold back the rest of your computer because you only have 1GB.

All that just for BF2.... Wow!
    What are you gou going to do when part 3 comes out next year and you need another new and better system to play it???? :)

Anzac,
    yeah I heard about that too, where it can cause problems if you run 4X512. I don't understand this b/c if why would the mobo have 4 memory slots if you can't use them all. I guess I'll have to research this particular board and see if it's a problem with it.

Yawgmoth,
    That was one of their upgrades that wasn't very cost-effective. It cost $135 to upgrade to 1X1GB, which I thought was a rip-off as an upgrade from 2X512MB. That was one part of their pricing structure that didn't make sense to me.

Spongebob,
    I didn't buy this computer just to play BF2. It's just that I've been seeing on the forums that a LOT of people play it and it looks like a cool game so I looked into it and heard that you need a really strong system to buy it, and wondering if I had enough. My main favorite genre of gaming is RTS games and there are plenty of really good games out there, so I won't lose sleep if i can't play BF2, it'd just be cool if i could.
    Last edited by kbreese; 12-12-2005 at 01:42 AM.

Spongebob,
    I didn't buy this computer just to play BF2. It's just that I've been seeing on the forums that a LOT of people play it and it looks like a cool game so I looked into it and heard that you need a really strong system to buy it, and wondering if I had enough. My main favorite genre of gaming is RTS games and there are plenty of really good games out there, so I won't lose sleep if i can't play BF2, it'd just be cool if i could.
    I was just kidding around with the BF 2 and 3 thing:).

Todays RTS games are very good. You'll spend alot of quality time playing them and you should have a blast doing it, but if your married you might run into problems there.

Anzac,
    yeah I heard about that too, where it can cause problems if you run 4X512. I don't understand this b/c if why would the mobo have 4 memory slots if you can't use them all. I guess I'll have to research this particular board and see if it's a problem with it.........
    You can still use all four slots, just at a reduced bus speed from what I remember, I didn't pay much attention to the article as I don't have an Nforce4 board, but i vaguely remember the fix has to do with a chipset update.

Good luck.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Can the chipset be updated by a software downloadable patch? Or is it actually new hardware? I won't know if the board I bought has the update or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information