Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galactic Civilizations 2

Default Re: Galactic Civilizations 2

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    I picked up Civ4 and just got reminded of what bugged me so much about it...you DON'T have endless turns. I'm the most advanced civ and am just about to build up my military so I can start taking over things...and I get this message "74 turns left". That just bugs the heck out of me! I want to at least be able to gain control over my continent!!!

But yes, it's better than Civ3!
    Try a custom game. You can set it up however you like it (infinite turns). The AI gets alot smarter on the Nobel setting on up so don't expect to win on that setting the first time around.

So far it's letting me continue after I've won. But I've also found another thing that bugged me, the way that it doesn't seem to matter what unit type you have. I mean, 3 guys with machine guns taking out an M1 tank? Over 20 stealth bombers only being able to cause a percentage of damage?
    I think they attempted to make the game balanced, but went about it the wrong way. They should have made each unit have an equal counter-unit. Like M1 tanks (the strongest armor) being weak towards artillery and gunships. I know they did it a little with stuff like subs being weak towards destroyers, but a destroyer taking out a battleship using only guns??

Am I missing the whole concept of this game?

So far it's letting me continue after I've won. But I've also found another thing that bugged me, the way that it doesn't seem to matter what unit type you have. I mean, 3 guys with machine guns taking out an M1 tank? Over 20 stealth bombers only being able to cause a percentage of damage?
    I think they attempted to make the game balanced, but went about it the wrong way. They should have made each unit have an equal counter-unit. Like M1 tanks (the strongest armor) being weak towards artillery and gunships. I know they did it a little with stuff like subs being weak towards destroyers, but a destroyer taking out a battleship using only guns??

Am I missing the whole concept of this game?
    I'm guessing a game of straight up CONQUEST is what you seek, so try that.

Using the right unit to counter another definitly helps but you also have to consider the units rank and the defence bonus of the terrain that the unit your attacing is on. It makes a hefty swing toward who wins that particular battle. Using aircraft to weaken a unit you attack helps alot, I rely on them heavily. Using artillery to weaken defences help in heeps, its a must if you don't have aircraft to weaken the enemy forces to a point where it'll cost you less than it cost them for any given battle. Attacking with artillery isn't such a good idea unless your doing it just to get an promotion upgrade by attacking a weaker unit, use artillery to knock down defence points. I doubt a destroyer would take out battleship unless the destroyer is upgraded to a point that it's stronger, or has a better defence bonus, or the battleship is wounded from a previous battle or by aircraft from the same round. I like taking a mixed group of ship to battle, the battleships to do the hefty stuff, the destroyers for defence, and subs to spot the enemy, and carriers for attack support, very spendy though if you load them up with fighters and sometimes not practical if you fall behind.

Is GC2 a good game? I was thinking about picking it up as I'm already board with empire@war. I need something to keep the level of boredom down @work. Scale of 1-10, 10 being Rome total war, AOE3 around 8ish, empire@war about a 7.
    I tried Space Rangers 2 last night. Its alot better than the name sounds in my opinion. This one will probably make you forget about time.

Cool..I'll check that out too...but I've been playing BFME2 demo and it's quite a bit better than the first, so that'll probably be my next game.

UPDATE: After a month or so of BFME2 I have to say it's about a 7.5. They had some great innovations over the previous game, but it's pretty easy to see they cut some serious corners with this game. The graphics are not much better than BFME1, the individual units no longer add banners/spikes as they further advance in experience(something I thought was really cool), the soundtracks seem very limited and some of the voices(although good), were not of the original actors, something that is rather important with main characters IMO. Also, for some reason I am not allowed to move to an adjacent area with some armies/heros..only when I add them to other hero's army can they move...that's very annoying! The AI, which is supposed to be really good...is the same as it always has been...almost non-existent.

The high points are the base/wall building capabilities as well as the custom hero creator, even though it is limited by today's standards.
    Last edited by matm347; 05-31-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I tried Space Rangers 2 last night. Its alot better than the name sounds in my opinion. This one will probably make you forget about time.
    I finally picked it up after beating Empire Earth II(lost the disks for a while)...It is a very addicting game, I remember playing SR1 Demo and that game was decent as well.....but I have a question...how do you get a land battle?? It's in the training missions, but the only thing the instructions say is “someone must give you the mission from an inhabited planet"...I've done dozens of planetary requests....have you been able to get a land battle going??? I know I'm missing out on a good deal of fun without them!

EDIT: I found it after reading a bit in their forums when I got home(blocked at work). I am a bit surprised that their main site doesn't have the patches!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by matm347; 09-14-2006 at 01:49 AM.
    Case - CoolerMaster Wavemaster
    Monitor - 37" Sceptre NagaIII @1080p
    PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    CPU - Intel C2D E4300 (overclocks to come ASAP)
    GPU - 7800GTX 256 @ 608/1440 volt mod
    RAM - 2x 1gig Corsair "Dominator" PC2 8500
    Sound - Creative X-FI elite pro
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    Sennheiser HD-650 (naked)
    Headroom Micro amp w/desktop mod/Cordas HPI cables
    HDD - 1x 74gig raptor for OS
    3x 74gig raptors in RAID0 for games
    1x 500gig WD for swap file/storage
    Cooling - Appogee CPU/GPU blocks
    3/8"ID 5/8"OD Tygon tubing
    3x 120mm BIE radiator