Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galactic Civilizations 2

Default Galactic Civilizations 2

Is there a way to terriform unihabitable planets into useable ones on GCiv2? I'm only on the 3rd level in the campaign and haven't figured out how to do it yet, that is if its even possible.

Default Re: Galactic Civilizations 2

I don't think so. It's kind of annoying, because there are very few habitable planets and lots of bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I don't think so. It's kind of annoying, because there are very few habitable planets and lots of bad ones.
    Thats a huge disappointment. Why did they even bother to put them there anyway then? I remember a very old game called Masters Of Orion 2 that was almost identical in many ways to GC2 and you could terriform any planet, even make the good ones better. Other than that I don't think there is much of a difference between the 2 games if I remember Moo2 right.

Is GC2 a good game? I was thinking about picking it up as I'm already board with empire@war. I need something to keep the level of boredom down @work. Scale of 1-10, 10 being Rome total war, AOE3 around 8ish, empire@war about a 7.

IMO 9. I certainly sunk a lot more time into Rome Total War. When it comes down to it, GalCiv II is probably not as good as Civ4 (which I would rate as 10). There are some definite improvements, particularly the incredible AI. If you want to give yourself a challenge comparable to a human player (and the game does it without giving the computer numerical advantages -- it's purely the brilliant AI), then this game is great. If you like MP, Civ4 is the way to go (GalCiv doesn't have MP, and it would be pretty boring if it did). I'd say it's worth playing regardless of the AI, though IMO the game can become more boring than the faster-paced Civ 4, even on the smaller maps. There's just not enough action going on, even for a TBS.

GC2 is O.K., and one thing I forgot to mention that is a nice touch over MOO2 is the ship customization, I don't think MOO2 had that if I remember right, and when I get further into the game I might be able to tell you if it was worthy of my time.
    I agree with Yawgm0th, Civ 4 rules. As of now, Civilization 4 is the king for TBS games in my opinion, even though I think I'm almost burnt out on it. BE WARNED!!! You need to have lots of spare time to get into either of these games becuase they are both HUGE time killers.

How is SW Empire at War? I've only played the first couple of levels or so but lately I've favored starting up LOTR Battle for middle earth 2 when I'm in the mood for a RTS game flavor. Neither of which I've found enough time to give anything close to a good testing yet:(.

Civ4 is that good huh? I got Civ3 not too long ago, right before 4 came out and was rather disappointed. I liked the concept, but it got very repetitive...maybe <st1:City><st1:place>Rome</st1:place></st1:City> has ruined most other games for me?? I have plenty of time at work to kill, which is where I get my RTS gaming in. I just got Oblivion which should keep me going for a few months or so at the house.

EAW is OK as well, I gave it a 7 due to it also getting somewhat repetitive. I went thru it on Medium and the AI sux. Once you've got through the first few levels, you pretty much have played thru the whole game with the exception of getting larger ships and better ground units. It has ALLOT of maps to play though, I don't think I'll get thru them all before I get burnt out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    Civ4 is that good huh? I got Civ3 not too long ago, right before 4 came out and was rather disappointed. I liked the concept, but it got very repetitive...maybe <st1:city><st1:place>Rome</st1:place></st1:city> has ruined most other games for me?? I have plenty of time at work to kill, which is where I get my RTS gaming in. I just got Oblivion which should keep me going for a few months or so at the house.

EAW is OK as well, I gave it a 7 due to it also getting somewhat repetitive. I went thru it on Medium and the AI sux. Once you've got through the first few levels, you pretty much have played thru the whole game with the exception of getting larger ships and better ground units. It has ALLOT of maps to play though, I don't think I'll get thru them all before I get burnt out on it.
    In Civ 4 you won't get the fancy graphics that Rome TW has in the RTS part of the game but for a turn base stratagy game only, Civ 4 is the best I've played yet and it is better than any of its pedecessors in my opinion. Lots of micromanagement to do but thats expected in a game like this. The only real bad thing that I don't like about Civ 4 is that it won't run on my laptop that I use for work so I've killed some precious time at home playing that game, even a couple all nighters. Its really addicting:(.

I also tried the Oblivion game for the 360, looks to be another possible addiction, but I seem to get a little motion sickness from it for some reason so that'll probably be enough to make me quit playing that one for good.

Civ 4 is light years ahead of Civ 3. It's a much better on game on so many levels once you get the hang of it. I would put it on the same level as Rome - TW. Hell, I'd say it has a lot more strategic value than Rome, just not quite the tactical value (though the game does do some interesting things with how combat works).

I liked Empire at War enough to last through both campaigns and a custom one (or whatever the game calls them). The space battles are really cool, but it won't be too long before they get repetitive. Land battles are decent, but they almost always amount to whether or not you have a counter to the enemies strength at your disposal. It also felt like the rebellion was extremely overpowered. The empire management portion of the game is fairly well done, though I'd almost say it would have been better if it had been turned-based, creating a TW-esque TBS/RTS hybrid. It does end up feeling a lot like that, regardless of the fact that it's entirely real-time. I would certainly compare it to Rome more than I would to a traditional Warcraft/C&C RTS. Dawn of War was the last one of those I got into; I just haven't enjoyed newer releases.

I picked up Civ4 and just got reminded of what bugged me so much about it...you DON'T have endless turns. I'm the most advanced civ and am just about to build up my military so I can start taking over things...and I get this message "74 turns left". That just bugs the heck out of me! I want to at least be able to gain control over my continent!!!

But yes, it's better than Civ3!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information