Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation Flashpoint

Not too fond of UT DM myself either, but the variety and skills required to use each and every weapon in UT makes CTF and Assault much more fun than picking up the rocket launcher and 'owning' for an hour or three.

That, and not ever map has brown floors, brown walls and a red sky.
    Or a bad lighting engine...
    Or lacks EAX/A3D support
    etc etc

Beefy Guest

Then we have the Unreal Engine.. :lips:

tut tut

Its the UT engine.

Original Unreal Engine sucked....at least for nVidia cards. It really only shined when you slap it side by side with Glide. (3DFX)
    ..mainly because at the time D3D was experimental. So was OpenGL.

UT engine is pretty impressive. You just need to look at the games that used it to see that. Rune, Deus Ex, Undying....

Most impressive graphics/games engine to date imo is the Croteam engine. (Serious Sam)
    Vewwy purdy, and 0 slowdown despite having literally 60-100 enemies onscreen and having only a 32meg gf2pro.
    Super-high settings too....
    *whistles*

Beefy Guest

It's all based on the Unreal engine though, ain't it? I just thought they fixed it all up...

SS2 does some pretty spectacular things with the Croateam engine too...

A little bit of truth to that.

From what I can remember, Epic were going to just heavily modify the Unreal engine and ride their sucess from unreal.
    However, more and more people were getting cards without Glide support. (Matrox, nVidia, S3 etc) so Epic did the smart thing and start from scratch buiolding the engine around more than just one graphics API.
    Thats why CD2 of UT has special textures for owners of the S3 card. (Using S3's "MeTaL" as renderer, which Geforce cards can now emulate) and a fair few D3D,OpenGL patches/fixes/enhancements.

Beefy Guest

I thought CD2 was for those with Savage cards?

And they didn't include that CD in the GOTY edition. I guess that's cos they'd patched the game up to date and it was better.

Yeah S3 Savage cards as well. "MeTaL" is the renderer name.
    Metal is to S3 as Glide is to 3dfx. kapiesh? :)

CD2= high-res textures. You just extract them from CD to your UT directory and marvel and more detailed textures.

Ask Albinus if he got CD2 with his copy. Its nothing too much to miss out on, but its the same deal as the high-res update for HL that shipped with Blue-Shift. Its not critical, but looks purdy when you have it.

Beefy Guest

I'm with ya now.. :)

I know someone with the CD.. I just didn't realise that there was a hi-res pack for it.. and I haven't played UT in months, so I won't get too concerned about it

Hmm My little rant about Op Flash point

It is by far the more realistic War game out !

Why u ask ?

A little thing called MACROrealism

Micro realism is what games like Ghost recon excel at but they don't capture the "feel" of combat in a modern war. Micro is about how weapons look an feel an how pretty the trees look.

From my time with the army an from reports from other ppl in the army, Op flash point is the most Realistic combat game around.

Macrorealism is about not knowing a map an being about to used the gound to your advantage as u find it. It's about using ground cover an being able to Move anywhere. In op flash point u can always Flank the enemy cause there is no boundry to where u can go.

I personally think it's one of the best games ever made. If there was more suport for it in Australia I would be playing it an not DoD.

It does however take some time to get into it. 1st couple of times i played it i was less than impressed (mainly due to the graphics) but then I found out what the game was about an how to get the most out of it.

MorB 3 i intend to have a good game of OP flash point. Anyone wanna join me ?
    BlackLord
    486DX2 - 66
    8MB RAM
    250 MB HDD
    Keyboard an mouse !!!!!
    Running DOS 6.2
    Internet Connection: 2 jam tins an a piece of string (otherwise known as Telstra Bigpond)

yay! finally- someone else sees the light.

doubt id be attending morb3 anytime in my lifetime, but fyi- there are quite a few active flashpoint servers out there catering you your aussie ping. The All-Seeing Eye will show you the way.

http://www.udpsoft.com/eye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information