Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360, PS3, or Wii?

Default 360, PS3, or Wii?

Just wondering what everyone thinks will dominate as a video game console a year from now and why.

Heres the top things that I think each system might excell in.........

The Xbox 360 with a big headstart on their game library.
    The PS3 with the interduction of a blu-ray drive.
    The Nintendo Wii with the lifelike controllers.

Default Re: 360, PS3, or Wii?

I think that the region you are talking about matters, but the PS3 will probably dominate despite its price because it sells most in Japan and they have the most people, I dont really know though, it also depends upon publicity and what is "cool" like A&F vs. Burton
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

They're all good in their own ways. My feelings on each are as follows:

X360: Good hardware, but significantly inferior to the PS3 and as of the 8800 series release, grossly inferior to the PC. The game library is fairly massive, but most of the games don't interest anyone but a casual gamer. A few games are the type that bridge the gap, and I'll admit I've been tempted to try Gears of War. For the most part, though, the games are geared towards casual console gamers and don't really bring the industry forward. Some of the better games are shooters, and those just don't make sense on console if you've a decent PC. The 360 also has effectively no backwards compatibility.

PS3: Great hardware, almost as good as the PC. More hardware flexibility than the 360, particularly with the hard drives, and IMO is more likely to be modded in the near future on a wide-scale, useful level. The game market is much more secure than the Xbox in that the PS3 has a number of titles which will either release to PS3 six months before 360/PC/Wii or will be PS3-only. The important thing to note is that these games rarely have anything equivalent on the other consoles and simply can't be done well for PC. Final Fantasy (MMO crap doesn't count as Final Fantasy), Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, etc. will all be PS3-first or PS3 only. Most good 360 games will get ported to PS3 pretty quickly or will simultaneously release on both. PS3 also has good backwards compatibility, with ~95% of PS2 and 90% of PSX games working perfectly. Of the ones that don't work, more than half are minor annoyances or are fixable through user interaction. Most will probably be fixable through downloadable software patches or firmware updates in the future. PS3 is also the cheapest Blu-Ray player out there. It costs almost as much to manufacture a Blu-Ray drive as the PS3 retails, not that Blu-Ray has a noteworthy adoption rate. the other hand, the PS3 is ridiculously expensive, has massive shortage issues, and most importantly, has a predominantly poor selection of launch titles, with only a few decent games coming in the near future. The controller also lacks innovation by most standards.

Wii: The Wii has hardware that an entry-level gaming PC puts to shame. This is also it's only real downfall. The launch price is the lowest a console has had since I've been able to read Arabic numerals, and the launch titles are pretty good, appealing everything from non-gamers and casual gamers to the hardcore. The legacy titles available both for retail purchase and later download add a great element, especially compared to the lack of proper backwards compatibility seen with the other two consoles. The Wii will have games that weren't even designed for Nintendo systems. Technically speaking, the Wii will have a bigger library than both XBox and the 360 combined within a few months of its launch. The controllers are a major innovation to the home gaming industry as a whole, and make the console extremely attractive when looking at the PS3's and 360's standard controllers. It even makes a hardcore FPS gamer think twice about the PC-only dogma some of us have. And not like Gears of War does by being a cool game. More like a "I could actually prefer this to a mouse and keyboard" type of thought. The controllers and wide variety of titles give such a plethora of gaming possibilities that IMO it's hard for any gamer to truly find a Wii useless. On the other hand, it does have decidedly last-gen graphics and requires players to adapt to a whole new style of control. It still can't replace a PC for certain types of games, most notably strategy.

Simply because I know what I like and I know that I'm going to want certain titles, if it came down to a choice, I'd take the PS3. However, the Wii interests me greatly, and if I don't get one for the holidays I may go as far as to shell out the $250-$400 it'll cost to get the games and accessories I want along with the console itself. The PS3 is just too expensive, and it simply won't be there unless tomorrow I decide to skip school, work, my next car and insurance payments, and go wait in a line and Best Buy/Target/etc. If I had the money though, I do it for sure simply for the >$1000 USD resale I'd be able to do on eBay. My boss is taking work off and getting two so he can resell them for profit on eBay. The 360 only interests me due to a few specific titles, but ultimately I can't see any real reason to get one.

Edit: Quite the essay I wrote there. I guess it's a very important issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by buhweet
    I think that the region you are talking about matters, but the PS3 will probably dominate despite its price because it sells most in Japan and they have the most people, I dont really know though, it also depends upon publicity and what is "cool" like A&F vs. Burton
    I think you're grossly misinformed. Microsoft will never do well in Japan, but Sony doesn't have enough brand loyalty that it can ignore Nintendo. As far as numbers go, though, you're very wrong. Japan has about 130 million people, while the North American market has closer to 350 million. Europe has over 500 million. North America is a much bigger gaming market than Japan, and Europe is pretty big too, although the languages, taxes, and strict product laws give it a huge disadvantage. The United States is also by considerably better economically than both. As far as regions is concerned, Japan simply doesn't pertain to this conversation as Microsoft has little product base there and always will. Europe also doesn't count since nothing but the 360 is available there. As far as the world market is concerned, Japan isn't really that important compared to other regions due to the population. What's most important in my little rant is that the United States received 400,000 PS3s, while Japan received 82,000. The U.S. has, in fact, received more consoles per capita than Japan. I'm not sure where you're getting "it sells most in Japan and they have most people."

As far as what system will do the best, it depends on when you're talking about. Xbox 360 has sold more units in North America than there exist Wiis and PS3s in the world. A year from now though, things will be different. I'm personally predicting the 360 staying on top in North America due to its wider appeal of its games to the culture and its head-start, and I think it will be neck-and-neck with Wii and PS3. Europe is iffy in general, but I think the Nintendo and Sony will pull ahead in the long run. Japan is already lost, and Sony will probably take the win. What's most significant about this race IMO is that a huge portion of gamers will probably own two systems. Most people have a PS2 OR an XBox, with almost no one having a GameCube (seeing as GameCube sucks). I'm think more people will want a 360 or a PS3 than a Wii, but a lot of those people will eventually get a Wii as a secondary system. Even Microsoft said in a shady, yet effective PR statement that it thinks the Wii will be a common auxiliary system to the 360.

Then again, the price difference and availability may mean the Wii overtakes both within six months. It's hard to tell at this point.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-17-2006 at 10:43 AM.

I am sorry yawg you are right, but I know that the x360 will sell less than the PS3 or Wii in japan, I meant the ratio of ps3 compared to the others, but I remember now that nintendo is a japan fan company. I am sorry for the incorrect info. Thanks Yawgm0th!
    I think that the PS3 will sell for a lot on Ebay there were some peeps lined up for it at a store 9 days before its scheduled arrival, pretty sad that we have people that can take 9 days off to get an entertainment device that cost enough to feed a family of 5 for 2 weeks. maybe its a good sign though, showing a healthy economy
    Last edited by buhweet; 11-17-2006 at 11:03 AM.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th

X360: Good hardware, but significantly inferior to the PS3.
    I would have guessed the same thing considering the PS3 is $200 more than the 360 upon each release, plus the PS3 is getting released atleast a year later than the 360 which intern should mean Sony can get better hardware at a cheaper price but after reading a few articles comparing the 2 products I'm thinking the PS3 is inferior to the Xbox360 when it comes to whats most important for a video game console (Video gaming). I'm wondering if were shelling out a good chunck of that PS3 money for the Blu-ray drive that still could be the next Beta vs VHS thing if you know what I mean, and given that its such a new technoligy means its price could and will drop alot if Bluray becomes the next IN thing.

http://www.itvidya.com/playstation_3_vs_xbox_360

Duplicate titles seem better on the 360 according to the pros. Heres one comparison.
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/c...6161718&page=2

The PS3 has a more powerful central processor (granted, it's much harder to code for it) and a more graphics processor. You may see better 360 graphics than you see on most launch PS3 titles, but in the long run the PS3 will provide better graphics. Right now developers don't know how to code for the Cell processor, and a good portion of the launch titles have been rushed. CoD3 was probably extremely difficult to port from 360 to PS3, which would explain the erratic performance.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will not, unfortunately end up much like Beta vs. VHS. Beta was better, but VHS was cheaper and made more sense for the consumer market. Beta is still used, but only in very small quantities. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are competing with each other right now (mind you neither has any user base), but hybrid players already exist and hybrid discs are theoretically possible. Neither standard is going to die out due to unpopularity. Sony didn't have a way to force people to use Beta. The PS3 forces Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray is considerably better than HD-DVD for storage purposes, so it will have a good adoption rate in the long run, regardless of which format comes out ahead.

Also worth noting right now is that there are reports of the PS3 being incapable of outputting to 1080i and being forced to scale down to 480p on HDTVs that only support 1080i (and not 720p). News sources aren't clarifying as to whether this is strictly because of PS3 hardware or if certain games simply don't support 1080i. What's of greater significance is that (unless I'm mistaken on this) technically an HDTV has to be 720p to be within HD specs, meaning a 1080i TV that doesn't support 720p isn't technically an HDTV. I'm thinking someone has screwed up somewhere on this, though. The PS3 is supposed to be able to do 1080p (otherwise there'd be no point to a Blu-Ray player...) as well as 720p, so it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be able to do 1080i.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-17-2006 at 01:28 PM.

I choose NONE. PC Gaming will always be better. I could spend $3000 and build a PC that will be able to play games at the highest res and all effects on 5-7 years from now. PS3 will be dated within 3 years. The BLU-RAY is the only thing that makes it worth it. Atleast till the prices of the drives go down. The current BLU-RAY stand alone home DVD player is $1000 and a PC drive around $700-$800. Like the 360 parents better have an HDTV or willing to buy one. You're better of building a killa gaming PC. I hook mine up to my HDTV and run it in 1080i and it looks great. Once the DX10 games come out, it will look better. And when I get a sony bravia, even better. I used to be a console gamer, but it's gotten to the point where you are better off saving up and building a gaming PC. Hell the 8800 runs circles around both or three(Wii dont count) it will bomb. 128 pixel pipelines! NEITHER system has that.

I buyin' Wii. Cuz it's simple looks nice and plays GC games and classics. If I want tru HI-DEF gaming. I stick with my previous comment. PC GAMING. But Nintendo is the only company that makes real good exclusives. Most other games come out for the PC.

www.smashmyp3.com
    www.smashmyxbox360.com

Go nintendo

Quote Originally Posted by Danksta420
    I buyin' Wii. Cuz it's simple looks nice and plays GC games and classics. If I want tru HI-DEF gaming. I stick with my previous comment. PC GAMING. But Nintendo is the only company that makes real good exclusives. Most other games come out for the PC.

www.smashmyp3.com
    www.smashmyxbox360.com

Go nintendo
    Just picked up a couple Wii's today. Also bought 5 retail games for it but we haven't stopped playing the game that came with the system to try any of them out yet. We will be having a wii of a day today !!!!! Wish I had a few PS3's to sell though:), I'm hearing they are worth their weight in gold on E-bay. Man, people are nutZ! Hope I can turn a pofit on the extra Wii .

What comes with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information