Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doom III Chat

Beefy Guest

I'm all for what you are saying there.. I read somewhere that the guy that made the Q3 bots is doing the AI for the game, or something like that. Now, is it just me or are Q3 bots pretty farkin stupid? IT woulda been nice if they had of got the team behind the UT bots... Or even the new SoF2 AI..

Yup, the Quake 3 bots had the intelligence of a lemming.

If what you say is true, I shudder again at the thought of this game becoming more popular than U2.

Q3A Bot programmer deserves a padlin'

The bots in Q3A are either completely stupid or inhumanly accurate. John Carmack was even quoted as saying "I don't know much about the bot programming in Q3A", because some outside guy did the bot programming. Compare that to the bots in the Unreal series, and you can see why Steven Polge of Epic is highly regarded as the world's best AI programmer. One other thread floating around this forum was about me saying goodbye to UT bots after playing with them for half and hour - if I hadn't noticed their ping times were 0ms, I would have thought they were real human players

[Blah Blah]
    SINGLE PLAYER?????
    What don't you guys have internet connections yet?

ALL AI IS CRAP

Single player of ANY game is like eating cardboard compared to Multiplayer of a successful multiplayer game. You can't make an AI nervous with smack talk, and tactics don't change when you start to dominate it. ETC ETC ETC An 8088 is to a brand new alienware system what single player is to multiplayer; AS a direct ratio on what is possible.

Given that point, I HATE it when people judge multiplayer games on their single player. I know its kinda hard to figure out how to connect to a server and all,...over the *GASP* Internet! but surely the people here wouldn't have problems with that.

Q2 wasn't crap! It had 85 multiplayer mods, 20 or so are still going strong ! (after FIVE years) There are forum communities that still exist BECAUSE of Q1, and Q2 mods that aren't played anymore except for a few times a year when the forum plans a weekend melee (because there aren't enough players who will play it daily--but the weekend servers sure are full) Do you see this with HL or Unreal?? Hahah--not a chance. (CS doesn't count because it is not free and CS is not a User made mod.)

If a game is based on single player, don't expect it to be around in 6 months... (or 3 months in the case or Serious Sam)

The orginal Quake was the most "ground-breaking" of any game to date.
    YES
    And DOOM3 will be the most revolutionary SINCE.

Q1 had 3 dimentional movement, shooting, and levels. Not just 'faked' 3D.

It was the first significant game played online. (Measured in Billions of minutes)

It was the first shooter to have such an incredible scope of skill. (ie: no matter who you are, there was someone who could rape you senseless; opposed to other games where the top players started to reach a level of performance that couldn't really be improved upon)

You do realise id Software are releasing DoomIII as a single-player only game with extremly limited multiplayer support? (if at all)

Alot of aussies dont have broadband connections to the net either, I myself have pretty much given up on online play. There is only so long one can put up with 56k/incompetence of our govt.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    [Blah Blah]
    SINGLE PLAYER?????

ALL AI IS CRAP

Single player of ANY game is like eating cardboard compared to Multiplayer of a successful multiplayer game. You can't make an AI nervous with smack talk, and tactics don't change when you start to dominate it. ETC ETC ETC
    That's going way too far... but I don't have the patience to bother telling you what I think anymore...

I agree with beefy, you don't know the first thing about single player games or AI zeradul....:rolleyes2
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

i have a dream...

i dream for there to one day be a game where the singleplayer aspect of the game is rid of AI. A game that runs 24 hours a day and players can join and leave as they wish. A game where you make your own storyline. A game where your allies, enemys and neutral opponents are all human. A game where YOU are in complete control...

pitty i dont know **** about coding games?!?!?:confused:
    (i think ive been watching the matrix too much:shoot3: )
    PHEAR ME!

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    [Blah Blah]
    SINGLE PLAYER?????

ALL AI IS CRAP

Single player of ANY game is like eating cardboard compared to Multiplayer of a successful multiplayer game. You can't make an AI nervous with smack talk, and tactics don't change when you start to dominate it. ETC ETC ETC An 8088 is to a brand new alienware system what single player is to multiplayer; AS a direct ratio on what is possible.

Given that point, I HATE it when people judge multiplayer games on their single player. I know its kinda hard to figure out how to connect to a server and all,...over the *GASP* Internet! but surely the people here wouldn't have problems with that.

Q2 wasn't crap! It had 85 multiplayer mods, 20 or so are still going strong ! (after FIVE years) There are forum communities that still exist BECAUSE of Q1, and Q2 mods that aren't played anymore except for a few times a year when the forum plans a weekend melee (because there aren't enough players who will play it daily--but the weekend servers sure are full) Do you see this with HL or Unreal?? Hahah--not a chance. (CS doesn't count because it is not free and CS is not a User made mod.)

If a game is based on single player, don't expect it to be around in 6 months... (or 3 months in the case or Serious Sam)

YES
    And DOOM3 will be the most revolutionary SINCE.

Q1 had 3 dimentional movement, shooting, and levels. Not just 'faked' 3D.

It was the first significant game played online. (Measured in Billions of minutes)

It was the first shooter to have such an incredible scope of skill. (ie: no matter who you are, there was someone who could rape you senseless; opposed to other games where the top players started to reach a level of performance that couldn't really be improved upon)
    Sorry? Single player is crap? Oh, I'm sorry, I'll just go home now.

"You can't make an AI nervous with smack talk, and tactics don't change when you start to dominate it."

And you can't get into an immersive storyline, with only yourself to rely on, with nice little scripted sequences and cutscenes in a multiplayer game.

And decently coded AI will change tactics once they start to lose.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by heretic
    i have a dream...

i dream for there to one day be a game where the singleplayer aspect of the game is rid of AI. A game that runs 24 hours a day and players can join and leave as they wish. A game where you make your own storyline. A game where your allies, enemys and neutral opponents are all human. A game where YOU are in complete control...

pitty i dont know **** about coding games?!?!?:confused:
    (i think ive been watching the matrix too much:shoot3: )
    Sounds like AC / UO / PSO / EQ / DAoC to me.. :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information