Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Doom III Chat

never herd of it...

bit of hitman mix too... concealing weapons and all round sneakyness would be cool

hmm... might have to learn some game programming and make this hybrid game
    PHEAR ME!

Beefy Guest

SoE was made by the same people as GTA3.. it's basically a riot game.. :)

oh yeah i have herd of that... is it any good?
    PHEAR ME!

Beefy Guest

dunno.. never played it

If you don't have a decent internet connection, I can see how you can't relate to my arguement. All I ask that you do is compare your single player experiences to the last lan party you were at. (the time spend NOT transferring warez/media/etc)

No storyline, cinematics, "scripted sequences", etc. can compare to HUMAN competition.

And THAT is my point. I am NOT putting down singler player as much as I am trying to expose the quality of play that is multiplayer.

========

You do realise id Software are releasing DoomIII as a single-player only game with extremly limited multiplayer support?
    This is a very telling quote. Have any of you guys ever played a free player made mod? Created, distributed, hosted all by people donating their time/resources? I know your internet infrastructure is weak, so I don't blame you if you haven't and I'm not attacking you either.

Quake 1 had the EXACT same rumor about it, as did Quake2. (referring to the above quote)
    Carmack and his group are brilliant. They realize they are only providing a platform for play. They make their games easy to 'mod' so that an above average coder has an easy time making a mod. A handful of people work for iD, compared to the thousands that are willing to put time and effort in and make their own mod

iD knows there is no way they can make 80 mods into one game - they don't have the time - BUT their player base DOES. And that is the difference between iD and so many other game makers. You have to be good to make a game, but you have to be REALLY good to make a game the average coder can easily modify to his liking.

Buying a game made by iD, shouldn't be done for what you get immediatly in the box, you are in actuality buying a liscense to freely download and play 50+ player made, and maintained mods.

Just imagine this: If this community (tweaktown) had formed around a game mod, with tweak being the forum host, and mod creator. We'd be able to make suggestions to him, ask about patch updates, talk about servers etc. And then on a daily basis see each other on the servers for some friendly competition. Wouldn't that KICK ASS? This IS a reality. Hundreds of communities exist, with direct contact with the game maker.

Alot of aussies dont have broadband connections to the net either, I myself have pretty much given up on online play. There is only so long one can put up with 56k/incompetence of our govt.
    I would like to see some of the Yanks who whine about their Cable/ADSL connection come here and PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for substandard speed and reliability. To make matters worse, phone lines (by and large) are crap in Australia compared to the U.S.
    These are valid factors/reasons. Hopefully at some point your government officials will realize the tremendous economic benefit of vast penetration of high speed internet access. GL with that.

But here is all I am saying, just imagine if you were on a gaming LAN with 10,000 of your peers EVERY time you turn on your computer. Now compare THAT to single player.

And I want to respond to this:
    And you can't get into an immersive storyline, with only yourself to rely on, with nice little scripted sequences and cutscenes
    That is true, but here is my take on that. What you describe can be experienced for the first time, ONCE! Sure there can be relativly minor variations, but scripted sequences and cinematics are new to the player one time only. Every moment of multiplayer is different. Nothing is ever the same, which means it is just as enthralling the 250th time as it was the FIRST time.

Not to mention, my biggest pet peeve about single player with storylines. You are a complete pawn. You don't choose what happens for the GREAT Great majority of the game(don't miss the point by arguing a rare exception..) It is the confrontation of Fate (where everything is pre-determined) Versus determinable outcome (outcome based on ones actions) Fate doesn't exist, and I hate being marched through a series of events that I just have to 'get past' opposed to raw competition where it isn't over till its over.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Not to mention, my biggest pet peeve about single player with storylines.
    That's obviously where a lot of us a different. Some people like the fact that they can immerse themselves into a storyline. It may be fairly linear (in most cases), but it's still good to go through and have an evolving plot, varying goals and so on.

With Multiplayer games, I fail to see how continually doing the same level over and over again (in team based) or just running around a level shooting things (DM) can manage to keep you entertained. Sure, different things happen all the time, depending on the opposition and such, but it gets to a point where you basically know the level inside and out, so all you do it run around and shoot. No thinking involved at that point. Whereas with single player games (and storyline) you do need to think more.

It's probably not entirely accurate, and is very open to comment, but it seems that mulitplayer games (FPS in particular) are just a simple version of the single player, which is more complex. This isn't a set rule, but just a generalisation I've noticed. Sure, someone will be able to give example where this isn't true, but as a whole.....

Not that it's a bad thing either. Some people don't want to get bogged down in storyline or complexity. They just want to sit down for 30 mins or so and kill things. Nothing simpler... IT's just the other end of the scale that I'm trying to get accross.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0

What you must remeber is the difference between the engine and a game made utilising the engine. id Software didnt make Jedi Knight 2, MOH:AA nor (most of) RtCW. They made the engine, but other companies independant of id Software developed the new technologies in those games as well as the awesome single-player aspects. Once you understand how that works, youll see id Software havnt made a game since Quake. Theyve had very little experiance *cough* Quake2 *cough*, so really- do you think theyll do good with DoomIII?
    I dont think so.

But who knows? They might pull the rabbit out of the hat and make a totally mind-blowing awesome game, but with ****ty multiplayer. Shooting themselves in the foot, yet again.
    I say stick with those that do it right the first time. Hold out 'till Unreal 2/UT2003.
    Reviving a quote from BZ.. Want to mention Soldier of Fortune II. I just picked it up a couple of days ago. It's DAMN impressive. They did a great job upgrading the Quake III: Team Arena engine for their twisted purposes.

It's the first game I've seen with eyes.. Actual EYES in the character's head. It's pretty damn cool to watch a model follow you around the room first with the eyes, then the head, then the body. Not bad for a tweak. The graphics are pretty impressive, and the whole decapitation thing has been touched up on from SOF1. I still enjoy putting that bullet through an enemy's head and leaving a hollow crater as a souvenir.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, since I prefer to play through the single player aspect to get a feel for the control and manipulation of the weapons.

I'm still expecting a lot from Unreal 2 though. I expect the AI in that to be horrendously intelligent.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Beefy Guest

SoF2 = damn fine...

Birdkiller just got ADSL, so him and me have finally starting getting into the online gaming scene.. Been playing SoF2 heaps. It's great.

Yep, SOF2 goes off like a frog in a sock. Awesome game.
    still, no 'rip your arm off and beat you to death with it' mode tho.
    :)

I salute id for beginning the 'scene' of awesome games, but they dont do much to follow through with the sucess. Whether or not they just do it for the money, or are just *******s is for you to decide. Myself, I think its a little of both.
    It irritates me that these people have so much respect and admiration amongst the population when they really dont do that much. Look hard and long at them. You'll see it too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information