Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comp lags after game closes

I lately have been turning my pc off every night and it helps heaps with these issues. Whats your big problem with rebooting :confused: . In my oppinion u are better of going for 768, but going much more then this, i heard windows cant utalize it fully. Well anyways good luck :thumb:
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

I just like to reboot I guess. Every 3-4 days is optimal for me. You know to give it a fresh start I guess. heh other then that I really don't know. The only reason why I would want to turn my computer off is because I'm afraid my HD will just stop spinning. I mean think about it the drive spins about 7,200 times every single minute that's about 10,368,000 every single day! To think if I was running a scsi drive a 15,000 rpm it would spin at about 21,600,000. Other then that I like to keep my computer on 24/7 because of temperature reasons. I heard the devices can crack when constantly getting hot and cold hot and cold. Its actually worse for a computer?:?:

Beefy Guest

Firstly, the hot / cold thing is only when it's a sudden change in temperature, not something that gradually happens.

Secondly, I wouldn't worry about the HDD too much. You might notice that your HDD will power down after a certain period (I think it defaults around 30 mins idle, could be wrong...) so it doesn't keep spinning 24/7. Ever noticed when you come back to your computer after a break how the HDD spins back up again?

:)

Woo! Misnomer heaven.

I mean think about it the drive spins about 7,200 times every single minute that's about 10,368,000 every single day!
    Yes, and millions of drives do it for years and years without problems. You do have a HD with a bad reputation, but it HAS lasted this long, and as long as it is cooled, you will probably be fine.

Other then that I like to keep my computer on 24/7 because of temperature reasons.
    A restart of a system will not altar the temps of anything, significantly. If you were looking for changes of temp on anything during a restart, you wouldn't find anything.

I heard the devices can crack when constantly getting hot and cold hot and cold.
    Very true. An ATV that has been running hard for an hour will have an engine that is extremely hot. 300-500 degrees F. Now splash that ATV through a deep stream, emerging a good portion of the engine to the cold water, and the sudden temperature drop will cause a violent contraction (opposite of expansion) and cause many engines to crack in a big way. It has happened thousands of times.

Its actually worse for a computer? :?:
    Nope. The Hottest thing in any computer is no hotter than 180F, and no matter what, water isn't going to be splashed onto it. AIR is NOT capable of cracking an engine, like water can, because AIR has a very very low "Thermal Mass" which means, AIR changes temperature easily. Water has a MUCH higher "Thermal Mass" and is able to hold MUCH more heat.

1 Cubic Foot of Water heated 1 Degree takes the same amount of energy as heating 3,200 Cubic feet of AIR !!!!!!!

That is why, people use a 0.5 CFM Water Pump to Water cool computers.

The point here is, Air cannot crack the ATV's engine, because it cannot hold enough "Coldness" (or lack of heat) to cause the engine to contract quick enough. And the same is true about computers. For temperature to be hard on something, it has to see very fast and very drastic changes in temperature
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

o ok seems very logical and the way you make it sound is even if I turned my computer on and off 90 times a day like turn it on play a game of quake and turn it off then an hour later come back turn it on play a game of quake and turn it off and do this like 20 times. Would that crack like my processor for instance? of course this is getting a bit on the extreme side but think about it for a second.

Beefy Guest

Not a chance. Like I said before, and what zeradul was saying is that things only crack when it's a sudden, extreme change in temperature (like cold water immersing a 300 degree engine).

Did you do science in high school? Ever see anyone put a hot beaker / test tube under cold water and it cracks / shatters? That's what happens. But in a computer there is no way that the temperature can change that fast. It gradually increases when you turn the PC on, then slowly drops off again when you turn it off...

come back turn it on play a game of quake and turn it off and do this like 20 times. Would that crack like my processor for instance?
    Beefy is right. No chance in Hell.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

ReSpAwN DeMoN it would pay ya to get another 256MB stick of memory the same brand and rating as the one ya already have as in most cases I find that WinXP runs best with 512MB of memory and 256MB is just not enough. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul

Beefy is right. No chance in Hell.
    Hey.. there's an idea.. When hell freezes over, does it crack too? :D

cool cool.......so it looks like I have NOTHING to worry about. Ok thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information